CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

School Woes

We are into our 3rd winter here in Nashville, and I am still mystified by the school system. School gets called off for the slightest thing. If there is any possibility that there is ice anywhere in the county, school is called off. If there is snow...no matter how little, or even just the possibility of snow, school is called off. If there is an excess of rain, and there MIGHT be the slightest bit of flooding anywhere in the county, school is called off. Well, yesterday topped the cake. So I get an automated call at 10:00 on Thursday night telling me that school was to be called off on Friday. I just sat there totally baffled. There was no snow, no rain, no nothing. Get this...school was called off because it was too cold. TOO COLD!!!!???? Have you ever heard of such a thing??? It was on average, 15 degrees yesterday, which for here is bitterly cold, but seriously....calling off school because of it??????? Is anyone else mystified??? Yesterday the sun was shinning and my kids even played outside a little bit. It was a beautiful day..... So anyway...I took the kids to see Bedtime Stories and we all really enjoyed it....even me! So I guess it wasn't a total loss, but it really threw me off for the week!

5 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Seattle was the same way. But I guess when it snowed, people just freaked out and forgot how to drive. And there is probably one snow plow for the whole city.

Judi said...

That is funny! I am sure the kids were excited though!

The local schools were canceled here too, but we were below 20 degrees. Of course, we just continued our normal homeschool schedule :). No need for us to cancel!

Karen Baker said...

That is soo funny! So different from Canada. Even in minus 40 degrees and blizzarding they won't call off school. They wait until everybody gets there and basically died or crashed on the way and realized that was pretty bad out and send everyone home early because half the class didn't show up anyway! The kids probably love it it down there when school is called off so often!

Cardalls said...

You don't remember how the inner-city KC schools would always get canceled because of the cold? I think it was because the kids had no other way than the bus to get to school and they didn't want them out in the cold. We always had school, though. I was always so jealous.

I second Karen's comments. I remember one time in Canada that it snowed so much that we lost power, but we still walked to school. There was no power at school, either, and none of the bused kids were there. We just played games until they sent us home.

Em & M said...

well katie i find out what city im selling in either the first week in february or the second week so pray that we are going to nashville so i can come visit you and the kids