Well, our gardening season is winding down. We only have our 21 tomato plants and a few pepper plants still producing. We've been able to "put up" (which in the south means "to can") so much this year since we know what we are doing. Last year was such a learning process, but this year we were able to just get it done. I haven't done an exact inventory yet, but we have canned lots of tomatoes (plain and Italian Stewed), pickled hot peppers (banana, jalapeno, and chili), dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, whole dill pickles, salsa, green beans, carrots, and split pea soup.Yesterday the Cooking Group from church had me teach a class on canning. Does that make anyone else laugh? I had it at my house so I wouldn't have to transport my gear, and Daniel was home since he is working the swing shift at work this week, so I even had him help me. It was a lot of fun to share everything that we have learned with others.
So, now I officially feel like a down-home-country-southern woman.

3 comments:
What a beautiful picture of all of your canned goods. It almost inspires me to plant more tomatoes next year and do some canning of my own.
I think that is great! Whenever Zak and I finally move into a house and can have a garden, I know who to call for canning/gardening advice. You guys are amazing!
Wow Katie I am impressed. I love seeing food in canning jars I think it looks so pretty. I so missed having a garden this year. Great work! Judi :)
Post a Comment