CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

July 4th in Kansas

I decided that before I start blogging about all of our "back to school" activities, I should probably finish blogging about our summer. We only went on 2 trips as a family this summer, which is so minimal compared to years past. Normally I'm a driving machine as I take the kids all over the country. This year was different. We took one trip to Daniel's parents and one trip to my parents. It was also quite a novelty to have Daniel travel with us both times.

We left Nashville early on Friday morning. We made it to KC in time to enjoy a delicious spaghetti dinner over at Martin and Mari's. My parents came over after they both got off work, so it was nice to be able to eat all together. I just really enjoy spending time with my siblings and their families. I love watching the cousins all play together. Martin and Mari had recently fenced in their backyard, so after dinner the cousins all went outside together.

Saturday morning my mom and I ran a bunch of errands, then I took the girls over to Martin and Mari's so they could play in the sprinkler and throw water balloons at each other. Daniel and Tristan went with my dad to look at a project he'd been working on, and then to Bass Pro Shop...it was all very manly. Saturday evening we all ate dinner together at my parents house, and then after the kids were in bed, Daniel and I scooted over to Martin and Mari's to play some games, eat popcorn, and drink some Mexican Coca-Cola I had found at Costco that morning (yummmm).

On Sunday we went to church with my parents. After church we prepped for dinner and Martin and his family came over again to eat with us. I'm sure you can see quite the theme here. We don't really do big and exciting adventures when we go to Kansas City. It is definitely more about spending quality time with our family, whom we don't get to see very often. Love it!

On Monday morning (the 4th), Daniel and I (with Addi and Avery...Tristan and Alicia were barely rolling out of bed when we left) met Martin, Ryan and Kate at Deanna Rose (a children's petting zoo). I took Ryan, Addi, and Avery there just over a year ago...you can see that trip by clicking here. All of us adults went to Deanna Rose as kids, but it was definitely not at the same caliber that it is at now. It used to be just a few animals...now it is quite big and beautiful and has lots and lots of animals to pet, feed, and look at. The only pictures we took on this trip was at Deanna Rose, so enjoy!

We started out the morning watching the cow being milked. It's amazing how quickly a cow can be milked these days! Here's Ryan with the cow.

After the cow was milked, the kids got a chance to take turns feeding bottles to the calf's. It was a HALF gallon bottle!!! Far cry from what we would feed our babies!

Avery loved the goats, and the goats loved her. I think she even called them, "Harlee."

Kate with the goats.

Addi riding a tractor.

Me pushing Kate on a tractor. Her legs weren't quite long enough to power it herself, so I offered up my help...didn't last long since it was so hot outside.

It was only 10 in the morning, but Daniel couldn't resist buying everyone an ice-cream cone. The kids thought it was great. I loved the look on Avery's face in this photo.

After Deanna Rose, and after we put Avery down for a nap, Daniel, Tristan, Alicia, Adelaide, and I hopped in the car to drive down to Chanute, Kansas to celebrate Grandpa Wendell's 90th birthday. We decided to leave Avery with Grandma so that she'd have less time to spend in her car seat since we were planning on leaving Tuesday morning. We enjoyed seeing Grandpa Wendell and Grandma Mary; as well as Daniel's parents, cousins, aunt, and uncles. It was a nice visit, and we left so that we'd make it back to my parent's house in time to watch the fireworks from their driveway. It was perfectly timed, but right before fireworks started, Avery woke up because she had vomited all over herself and her bed. Poor baby. After a lot of cuddling (and a few more episodes to clear out her stomach) she finally went back to bed. Luckily she felt much better in the morning and thankfully we were able to drive home without anyone else getting sick!! What a mess that would have been!

0 comments: