Usually at the end of the summer, I am exhausted and totally at my wits end with my kids and can't wait to get them back in school. This year was different. I'm not sure what made this change occur, but it was there. I used to never understand why I would hear my friends talk about how sad they were for school to start. Now, I was still ready for my kids to get back to school, but it was laced with a sadness I'd never had before. Maybe it is because all my kids started new schools this year, and it was quite the reality check to realize that my babies are getting big.
With Tristan gone much of the summer (boy scout camp, BYU soccer camp, EFY in Bowling Green, Youth Conference, etc), I got the girls and I on a great schedule where we all got to do things we enjoy. Then when Tristan was home, it was an added bonus. He has become an incredible helper to me with caring for all 3 of the girls. I would often be able to run errands and go to appointments during the days when he was home, and I was completely at ease with leaving the kids at home with him.
But because he was also gone most of the summer, I set up to have a nanny for the girls once a week. She saved my life this summer...literally. The girls would anticipate her coming all week by preparing performances (singing, dancing, etc) and making her special cards and crafts. Her name is Summer, and she will be a sophomore at BYU this fall, and she is A-MAZ-ING. I don't know what I would have done without her. We were all very sad when she babysat for the last time last week. But we hope she has a rockin' awesome year at school!

The girls with Summer. The girls love and adore her...literally. They loved watching the wedding shows on TLC with her. "Say Yes to the Dress" and "Four Weddings" were the 2 most watched.
And so school began. Tristan started high school. I'm SO not old enough for this. And with high school, started early morning seminary (a religion class for the youth of our church). This year they are studying the Old Testament. Seminary starts at 6:30, which isn't too super early. The bus comes by at 6:45, so it's not like he's having to get up much earlier than he normally would. I assigned Daniel to be seminary driver since he often leaves for work around that time. Tristan also started running with the Cross-Country team at school. Apparently he is definitely holding his own, so it will be exciting to see him run in his first meet in a few weeks. He seems to be adjusting really well, so we hope that continues.
Alicia started middle school this year. Middle school for girls is just horrible, so I'm preparing for the onslaught. Hopefully she can make it thru without too many scars. So far she is doing pretty well and really seems to like it. I took her shopping for new clothes and gave her a new haircut, so I think she's feeling pretty good about her physical appearance! Now if we can keep her having good self-esteem for the next 6 years, we'll be set for life, right??

Hello?? When did she become all grown up? Doesn't she look amazing? Can you see why I had a hard time letting go this year???
And then Adelaide started Kindergarten. So far she has gone for 2 half-days. She starts all day every day tomorrow, and we may try riding the bus in the morning. The first day when I walked her in, I completely lost it. She was so excited to be there, but I could tell she was really nervous and anxious and really trying hard to put on a brave face. Completely broke my heart. I sat in the car for a few minutes before I left the parking lot and shed a few good tears. Then I went to kickboxing class and tore up the bag. It felt good. Thankfully when I picked Adelaide up a few hours later, she was back to her old bubbly self and super excited about everything school. That made me feel so much better...you have no idea (actually...many of you just MAY have an idea). She also lost her first tooth last week! She was so excited. She'd been working on that wiggling tooth for a few weeks. Finally I said, "lets just pull it out." I tried a few times, but couldn't get it, but also managed to make it bleed, so I knew I had to get it out. I grabbed a kleenex, got a good grip, and pulled....hard. She made a face, then felt around with her tongue and said, "It ISN'T there! Where is it??" In my hand. The Toothfairy came that night and gave her $2...lucky girl.

Adelaide's first day of school.
When she went in for kindergarten testing they asked her what her name is, she said, "Adelaide." When they asked her to write her name, she wrote, "Addi." They were a little confused. She wants to be called "Adelaide" but is more confident writing "Addi." Needless to say, we've been working on writing "Adelaide."

and so the falling out of teeth begins
Avery is home with me for a few more weeks, and then she starts a 2-day preschool program. It will be fun for her to socialize with other kids. I think it will be hard for her to just be home with me most days....she is just too used to having multiple playmates!
So there you go.... We are just about back in full swing. We are busy...really busy, but it's great. How has the beginning of school gone for you?

2 comments:
I love all the updates. I'm so behind on my blog that I'm a little overwhelmed.
Your girls look so grown up! I can hardly believe it. And they are all so beautiful. I guess Daniel can use his gun arsenal to scare away any potential suitors. :)
Miss you! I can't believe it has been 2 summers now that I haven't come out to Nashville and played with you all. It makes me sad. :(
What a wonderful update!! Oh my goodness time has flown by and I can't believe school has started! Ryan still has one more week of freedom, but the rest of Tallahassee has started.
And guess what we found out? Ryan didn't know but with his work, he just needed to fill 40 hrs for 2 weeks not 20 hrs per week. So we could have totally gone up to see you guys this summer and then made the rest of the drive to CHicago to see my in-laws. We were SO pissed when we heard that.
anyways, totally jealous of Avery going to that play thing 2 times a week! I guess Brin gets a taste of that since I am still watching one girl during the day that is turning 1 the same month Brin turns 2. She likes hanging out with her, but she is more concerned about the babe taking her toys and pulling her hair than anything :-)
Post a Comment