Three weeks ago, I made a last minute trip back to Kansas City with Adelaide and Avery. My sweet niece, Kate (Martin's daughter), was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma. It was quite a shock for everyone, especially Martin and Mari. I couldn't stand the thought of sitting around Nashville while they were going through this huge ordeal, so I packed up Addi and Avery, and off we went! I had gotten word on Sunday night that they were very concerned about Kate and were taking her into the hospital. By Monday afternoon, I decided I was going to leave, and I was on the road by Tuesday morning. I was so grateful that Daniel had a good schedule, and for fabulous friends who were willing to help out my family, that I was fortunate enough to be gone for a week! I was so glad to be able to be there for Martin, Mari, Ryan, and Kate. I was able to watch and care for Ryan on Wednesday and Thursday. Cari arrived with Lily and Luke on Thursday evening, and we spent the rest of the weekend together. Martin and Mari would switch off sleeping at the hospital and sleeping at my parents house with Ryan. I have been amazed at the strength and courage Martin and Mari have had, and I've been impressed with the sweet spirits of Kate and Ryan.
Addi and Ryan really enjoyed each other. We got to do a lot of fun things. On Wednesday we just took it easy. Addi and Ryan played a lot of trains. Addi tried to get Ryan to play babies with her, but he wasn't too interested....imagine that. We also walked down to the park and played for a little while in the afternoon.

Addi and Ryan at the park. So sweet.....

....and that's the end of that. So silly.
On Thursday, I took the kids to a petting zoo. I remember going to this petting zoo as a kid, and it consisted of a few goats and some chickens. I was floored by the improvements!! It was nothing like how I remembered it! The kids really had a good time, and I think I even managed to give them all a little heat exhaustion (it was a really warm day, and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been). My strategy was to keep Ryan SUPER busy and pre-occupied, so he wouldn't think too much about things. Instead I totally WORE him out. Poor boy!

On a tractor....

Peddling tractors.... This was so cute. There was a little path and about 10 of these tractors kids could hop on and peddle around the path. I think Addi and Ryan tried out every single one....by the end they had found the best ones.

Ryan really wanted to feed the goats....

...and Addi wanted to go on a pony ride. You can see Ryan on his pony in the background.


My pretty flowers! The kids had a a lot of fun in this flower garden. There were stepping stones with numbers up to 20, and with the letters of the alphabet. They had a great time stepping on them in order.
The baby goat enclosure wasn't allowing visitors, but we found this adult goat enclosure that they could go in. They went to EVERY single goat (and the one sheep that was in there) to give individual loves and pets.....so cute.

And this is what Avery did pretty much the whole time.
Since Ryan and Addi were completely worn out, on Friday, we took it easy (it was also raining out). Cari and I took all the kids up to my mom's work to eat lunch with her. The kids really enjoyed it.

Luke, Lily, Grandma, Addi, and Ryan
We started out in this conference room, but got booted to the lunch room because we were too loud....oops!
Mari took Ryan up to the hospital to visit Kate on Saturday morning, and then we all went to the park again Saturday afternoon. On Sunday we went to church with Martin and Ryan, and then Cari and I were able to go up to the hospital to visit Kate and chat with Mari. It broke my heart to see little Kate laying in a hospital bed. I often can see myself in Kate. I look at pictures of myself at Kate's age, and I am amazed at the resemblance.

Kate sitting on Alicia's lap after the Nativity at Christmas.
Kate is still in the hospital. We are hopeful that after her 2nd round of chemotherapy scheduled for later this week, she will get to go home and sleep in her own bed. We continue to pray that the medical staff taking care of Kate will be inspired; that Martin and Mari will continue to be blessed with strength and courage; and that Kate's body will continue to be strong and respond to her treatments. We love you baby Kate!!!!

1 comments:
She is in our prayers everyday! We fasted for her again today. I know, along with my parents, how grateful we are for you guys going over and helping. Jill is really looking forward to coming out after the wedding.
Post a Comment