CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Camp Nagrenol 2011

Jackson, Tristan, Grandpa, Alicia, and Avery taking Cinders and KC for one of their daily walks. Funny story: when we got there, I was baffled at how small KC and Cinders were (I'd always considered them big dogs). I was convinced that they had started shrinking in their old age. Finally we came to the conclusion that my perspective of a "big" dog has been tainted by the ever enormous Harlee.

So Camp Nagrenol was actually all the way back at the beginning of June. I wish I had some fabulously glamorous reason as to why I'm so lame about my blogging...but I don't, so I guess I should stop feeling guilty about it!

Daniel was able to attend camp with us again this year, which was fabulous. Especially since this year he wasn't distracted with needing to study for a test or working on some big project. It was nice to have him fully committed to the activities of camp....it made camp a lot more enjoyable for me too!! This year Daniel's oldest brother's kids were unable to be at camp due to various other activities and commitments they had. Daniel's cousin, who also lives at the lake, has a daughter who is exactly the same age as Alicia, but she was in Idaho with her grandmother. All in all, it was a smaller crowd this year...which was kind of nice.

Brenda was in charge of crafts and did an awesome job. Every morning started out with breakfast, and then the craft. She ironed on a "Camp Nagrenol" silk screen logo that Nate designed onto a t-shirt for every camper and camp counselor. It was then up to every camp member to color in his/her logo with fabric markers. That was a big hit among camp members of all ages. I wish I could have gotten a picture of Nate and Daniel's intensity while coloring their shirts. Some other crafts were: foam door hangers that could be decorated with stickers, glitter, markers, etc; jewelry boxes; beaded jewelry; and I can't remember what else. I know there was more, and that she had different crafts for the boys, but I guess that's what I get for waiting so long to blog.

Some campers enjoying coloring at the craft table. Avery loved sitting out there coloring while the kids crafted...she loves doing anything that makes her feel "big."
I suggested covering the table with wrapping paper like I had done for Alicia's birthday party. It worked amazingly well again! We covered it at the beginning of the week, and it lasted the entire camp. Very cool trick.

Of course there was all the water activities in the afternoon/evening. We had great weather all week. It was up in the high 80's and into the 90's, but the humidity wasn't crazy yet. And because it was still early in the season the lake and the pool weren't overly warm, so it was actually refreshing to jump in. There was lots of swimming in the pool, boating, tubing, swimming off the dock, and riding the wave runner. We seemed to be busy all the time, but not overly busy (which has been an art we've worked on perfecting since the beginning of Camp Nagrenol's). One morning, Daniel, Nate and I were able to sneak out during craft time so we could get in a few skiing and wakeboarding runs. It was heavenly. Unfortunately, since we were rushing out so as not to be seen by the campers, I neglected to bring the camera and put on sunscreen. Luckily it was the last day we were there, so I didn't have to miss out on any activities due to my burnt skin. It was awesome to be up on the wakeboard and I'm sad I didn't get any pictures of us rocking it out!

Uncle Nate giving Tristan and Max the tube ride of their lives!

Addi tubing with Ryan and Tamblyn. These girls got more brave as the week progressed. I was excited to get an "in-air" shot of them.

Uncle Jared being a real sport by giving a bunch of the kids a ride on the jet ski. Here he is with Addi. You can see how thrilled he is.

Giving Alicia a ride was a lot more work than the little kids, but Jared did it!! Alicia was excited to get a turn.

I thought this was a beautiful shot of Alicia. It is so rare we get a really good picture with just the right lighting. So the background is a little over-exposed, but SHE looks amazing.

There were times when I wasn't sure if Daniel was a camp counselor, or a camper. Although it looks like he must have taken out both Rocky and Addi, I think he actually went straight into the water leaving the kids totally untouched. We would tie the tube up to the side of the dock when we weren't using it with the boat so the kids can play on it.

A cute picture of Addi and Rocky.

And there was of course the annual Pirate Treasure Hunt. This year we made it super, duper easy. Brenda had the idea to scope out a local geocache, which happened to be on a little island we normally hid a clue at anyway. We stocked up the geocache that was already there with our own loot of popsicles and ice-cream bars. We took it back to the house where everyone enjoyed dessert before dinner with a little lake swimming.

The crew heading out on the treasure hunt.

Our one-stop-shop at "Monkey Island." We decided that it should really be named "Duck Poop Island" but whatever.
Avery enjoying her Pirate's treasure popsicle.

The kids also enjoyed feeding the ducks that hung out by the dock all week. I'd be in the kitchen and Daniel would come running in, grab bread, and run back out. He is so funny about making sure kids (seriously...ALL kids he comes in contact with) get good time with animals.

One evening everyone (except me, Brenda, Avery, and Liam) went over to a family friend's home to do some fishing in their pond. Adelaide was very much looking forward to this event. She was insistent on making sure she had her OWN fishing pole before we even left for camp. Luckily, Daniel had bought a Barbie fishing kit at a sporting goods store a few months ago in anticipation. He's so brilliant. I think everyone enjoyed themselves, but I don't have any first hand details, since I didn't go. I took Avery to this event last year, and it was so hot and muggy and she was absolutely miserable the entire time, which made it miserable for me, so I opted to not bother this year. It was a wise choice.

Addi, Ryan, and Tamblyn with Daniel and a fish he caught. If I was better educated on fish and fishing, I'd tell you what kind of fish it is. But let's be honest...I really don't care...I was just glad I got to stay home!!! Sorry, I'm just not a fisher...not my thing.

Every night we finished the day off with a movie for the kids. It's a great way for them to wind down and they seem to really enjoy it. All in all, it was another successful year at camp. Although Avery was teething or something, because she was up every night...sometimes for a couple of hours...SO painful. Luckily Daniel and I could share that burden, but that seemed to be our only real challenge all week, so we'll take it!!! (I'm not sure we saw it with such a good attitude at the time...but whatever.)

Besides, how could we seriously be irritated with a face like that??

2 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

That sounds like an amazing summer vacation with kids. Um, that picture of Alicia??? SOOO gorgeous!!! Her skin is flawless! And Avery? Holy cow, I love her.

Brin is off and on cranky too from teething. She is getting in her canines I think because she bites on her pointer finger right in those open spots in her mouth.

I'm sad we weren't able to see you guys this summer, but we have to figure out when we can in the future!

Cardalls said...

Good times! I miss Camp Nagrenol. Such a fun week. I really believe less is more. Less structure allows for all the fun times, and seriously, what more entertainment do you need than the pool and lake?