CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

VIA BBQ 2009

Daniel has been busy planning the 2nd annual Vanderbilt International Anesthesia fundraising event since July. The last few weeks leading up to the event were especially busy for him. Last year we hosted the party at our house, but this year they were anticipating a much bigger crowd, so we had to find a larger venue. One of Daniel's attendings lives just down the road from us and has about 7 acres divided into 4 pastures. It was perfect. They used the front 2 pastures for parking, and the back 2 pastures for the party. The very back pasture has a barn on it completing a perfect setting for the event. They had 3 bonfires going, a tent with tables and chairs set up, a silent auction, a live auction, smoked bbq, and of course, Savannah Jack. It was a great night and very successful with far more people than last year. They raised almost triple the money we raised last year (which will cover the cost of sending the 5 residents planning to go to Africa this year and then some). Daniel and 2 of our friends even won the bid on a week at a 4,000 square foot lake house on Norris Lake during the live auction! So I guess we've already got our Spring Break plans all set!

By the time the band was able to play their 2nd set, the crowd had thinned, so we pretty much got our own personal concert. It was fabulous! They even pulled Alicia up and asked her to sing with them....she was in heaven! She was a little stumped as to what to have them play for her, so I helped her out with Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on My Guitar." I wasn't sure she knew all the words, but I didn't figure it mattered anyway. To everyone's astonishment, she knew EVERY word. She did a great job and soaked up the limelight (who wouldn't???).

Daniel was so distracted...he could barely stand still long enough to take a photo with me in almost all my glory....5 weeks left!

Here's a shot of the very back pasture. You can see the band setting up just to the left of the barn. Inside the barn on the left was the silent auction, and on the right was High Roller Smokers BBQ...SOO good! Not pictured to either side of this photo was 2 of the 3 bonfires, and then the tent with tables and chairs was just behind where we stood to take this photo.

Alicia's debut!
L-R Mike, Matt (on the drums behind Mike, you can't see him in this photo), Alicia, Don, and Jay. She just gave Mike her starting note, and then he followed her and the rest of the band followed him...they are all so talented, it's amazing.


Daniel is off to the ASA conference in New Orleans for a week starting tomorrow. He's been so busy since he went back to work after getting back from Africa.....between this fundraiser and getting 2 posters ready to present at this conference, I'm hoping that I'll finally get my husband back next week! Just in time to have a baby...... He made a comment about how this conference was the last big thing to do and then he could just focus on his research. I reminded him of the BABY we are having in a few weeks (sometimes I wonder if he forgets), and his comment was, "Yeah, but that's fun, family stuff." We'll see how much "fun" he is having with a screaming baby at 3 am!!! I love my husband!!!!


3 comments:

Cardalls said...

Great party! I love that Alice gave them a starting note. What a pro! We're bummed we couldn't make it.

p.s. I thought you weren't going to put any belly shots up. You look great!

GUENTHERS said...

I'm so glad to see a pregnant shot of you! You look so beautiful, definitely have the glow. We're so excited for you, almost there!

Karen said...

looking good katie! i can't believe 5 wks left