In August we had 2 solid weeks of visits from different members of my family. I tell ya...it's feast or famine around here. It was so fun to see so much of my family here in Tennessee. I often drive to visit with them, so it was nice to have them come here.
The visits started with a 7-day trip from Wes and Christen. They are both starting their senior years at BYU this fall, so their trip out to see us was their last carefree adventure before the onslaught of school. We had a great time together. All of the kids (except Avery) had started school, so we had time during the day to get out and do and see things. We worked out at the gym 4 mornings. It was fun to introduce Wes and Christen to the world of Body Pump (a high rep, cardio weight lifting class). I was adjusting to the new school schedules and all the afterschool activities, so having Wes and Christen here during that time turned out to be Heaven sent. Wes took Tristan to seminary for me one morning when Daniel couldn't do it. He also picked Tristan up from cross-country practice a few days. Wes and Christen took the girls to gymnastics one evening, and then watched Addi and Avery for me while I went to parent nights at a few of the schools. They were just so helpful. I think Christen played about 100 rounds of Zingo with Addi. Addi loved it, of course. Wes and Christen also entertained Avery a lot for me so I could get the cooking and some chores done. I definitely got spoiled having 2 extra adults in the house with me and I think they got a good dose of birth control!!

Right after we picked Christen and Wes up from the airport, we took them out to eat at the "Loveless Cafe." We had some good down home country cookin'.

One morning we met Daniel for brunch. Avery, Wes, and Christen outside the Pancake Pantry in Nashville. Apparently it is one of the best pancake restaurants in the nation.

After brunch, we went over to the Vanderbilt campus to see Daniel's office and lab. Then I walked Wes and Christen onto the main campus to get some Vanderbilt paraphernalia at the bookstore.

I think it was a Thursday morning when we went on a tour of the Grand Ole Opry house and then went over to Opryland Hotel to walk around the indoor gardens.

Christen showcasing one of the many dressing rooms backstage.

Christen standing on the Opry stage with the auditorium behind her.

Standing on the center circle of the stage. This piece was cut out of the original floor from the Ryman Auditorium (the birth place of the Grand Ole Opry) and placed center stage at the new Opry house.

We made Wes try on this shirt in the gift shop after our tour. Doesn't he look just like Garth Brooks? ha! Somehow Wes couldn't pull it off as well as Garth...

Avery, Wes and Christen in front of a fountain at the Opryland Hotel. By this point Wes was sick of getting his picture taken (I think the American flag shirt took it all out of him).

So I made him take a photo of Christen and I instead. The indoor gardens at the hotel are amazing. I'm always surprised at their beauty.

I somehow convinced Wes to take one last photo with the country horse statues. I wanted to make sure he got a complete Nashville experience.

On their last night, we went downtown to eat dinner and walk up and down Broadway. I let Christen borrow a pair of my boots so that she could be sure to get the complete experience.
After Wes and Christen left, I had about 2 days to get things turned around for my brother, Martin to stay for a few days. He came because he had some things to do for work, so we mainly just enjoyed hanging out with him in the evenings. It was nice to sit and chat and catch up on the happenings in our lives.
Martin left on a Wednesday morning, and my parents drove in on Thursday night. It was also lovely having them here. Friday happened to be "Grandparent's Day" at the elementary school, so Adelaide was super excited to have them attend. I think they all had a great time. The rest of Friday was spent just hanging out. Saturday, Daniel took my dad shooting, then over to the Harley Davidson store, and then to Home Depot. We've been having troubles with 3 out of our 4 toilets, and somehow I managed to convince my dad to fix them for us during his vacation. You have no idea how fabulous it is to have completely functioning toilets! Saturday was also the BYU vs Ole Miss game, so we enjoyed watching that. I have to admit I'd just about given up on BYU, but somehow they pulled it off. After the game we got the kids ready for bed and then took my parents out to eat at a fabulous steakhouse called "Stoney River." They left on Monday morning, so it was a short trip, but it was so nice to have them here.

Grandma and Adelaide playing a bean bag toss game at Grandparent's Day.

...playing with the parachute.

Doing a handprint craft for the Grandparent's to take home.
We enjoy visitors, so if you are ever having a hankering to visit Nashville, please give us a call! We will do our best to show you a good time!

1 comments:
I haven't looked at your blog in a while, so I just saw this post. What a fun 2 weeks! Isn't it great to have visitors? It looks like you and everyone else had a great time! I miss my visits to Nashville with the kiddos.
Post a Comment