After Daniel and I returned from Monterey, we found that Daniel's parents had both gotten very sick with a flu bug...each on a different day. We felt so bad that they got sick, but we were so grateful to them for staying with our kids. The kids had a great time. Tristan had a math final that Tam helped him study for and it really reflected in his grade. I think we'll always have Grandpa come to visit around finals time!!! Avery went through a small period of abandonment, but then decided Grandma wasn't so bad and really clung to her and the other kids. Grandma also took Alicia on a shopping trip. Alicia loves to shop, but also loves to take a lot of time, and has a hard time making up her mind. I often don't have enough patience for such shopping trips, so was very grateful Grandma was up for the challenge, and apparently they had a great time! Adelaide stayed pretty occupied with her leapster and suckered Grandma and Grandpa into letting her watch a lot of t.v. Tam and Cindy left the day after we got back so they could have Christmas at home. I spent the next few days scrambling to make sure everything was ready.
Daniel had the whole week off, and decided to really take it off...no distractions. It was so fabulous to have him 100% with us...mind, body, and soul. We enjoyed spending lots of time together. On Christmas Eve we all decorated gingerbread cookies. We had a yummy pork loin for dinner. We read the Christmas Story out of the book of Luke. We sang some Christmas carols, and then we read Love Notes to each other. Love Notes is something my mom had my family do when we were growing up. We lived far away from extended family, so my mom was always coming up with new traditions over the holidays to keep us busy. Love Notes was one of them. We were to write a short paragraph about why we loved each member of the family, and then we read it out loud to each other on Christmas Eve. We always went thru a box of tissues (or two), and it really bonded us as a family. Daniel and I have done it here and there since having kids. This year the kids weren't super excited about having to write them, but I couldn't blame them, because I never was excited about writing them as a kid. Regardless, the kids all wrote really, really, really, sweet love notes, but somehow I was the only one who needed tissues....go figure.

Gingerbread cookie decorating. I couldn't believe how much the kids got into it...even Daniel and Tristan...I didn't have enough cookies!! I will say that I think Santa really enjoyed the cookies we left him.

Singing Christmas carols...we didn't get to sing very many before Avery broke down and needed to be put to bed, but it was still fun.

Our living room after Santa finished early, early, early, on Christmas morning.
Christmas morning was filled with opening stockings and presents. We even had a light dusting of snow...apparently it was the first time in 17 years that there was snow on Christmas in Nashville. The kids were all very excited about their loot. Then we made up a nice, big breakfast. Christmas breakfast was always one of my favorite things growing up...chocolate milk, bacon, waffles, etc....so yummy. After we got that cleaned up, I set to work on our turkey dinner. We had invited our friends, Jason and Rachel and their 2 boys over, so we enjoyed a yummy turkey with all the fixin's. I didn't even really mind being in the kitchen all day, because Daniel was super helpful with the kids and anything else that needed tending to. Can I just say again how nice it was to REALLY have him home and "with us" physically and mentally. Seriously....probably the nicest Christmas we have ever had as a family.

When I said "dusting," I literally meant dusting...quit laughing Canadian friends!!!

Tristan got an official Chelsea soccer ball that Santa special ordered from the UK. He was pretty excited about that. He also enjoyed his new iPod docking station (fabulous black friday find), and 2 more controllers for the xbox.

Alicia was lucky enough to get a new pair of brown cowboy boots and a matching sweater from Santa. She also got a bunch of new, very cute clothes, new headbands, and a snow globe that played "Frosty the Snowman" that she was very excited about.

Addi got a baby doll nursery from Santa, but also lots of nail polish and lip gloss. She also was very excited about her Kid Tough camera (another black friday find), barbie dolls, and Hannah Montana wig.

Avery got this fabulous push-car from Santa. She loves for us to push her around the house and outside. She also got a fabulous toy piggy bank from Grandma Norma that she has played with everyday since.

0 comments:
Post a Comment