Last weekend, Tristan and I drove 3 hours east to Knoxville, Tennessee for the state cross country meet. We decided to drive out Friday night and stay in a hotel so that we didn't have to get up early and make the drive (I am SOOO not a morning person). Confession: It felt kind of like a vacation...do you know how nice it is to get out of bed when I want to, and not when a baby tells me a have to? I had the BEST night sleep...even tho it was a crappy hotel bed...it didn't matter. It was heaven! I won't say the name of the hotel, but Daniel found it for us on Priceline, and I had my doubts about it. It was actually pretty ok, but Tristan found some sort of bug on the comforter on his bed. He was grossed out and flicked it off. I'm all, "hello?? why didn't you kill it??" Then he proceeded to flip all of his covers in every direction just to make sure he got all the bugs off. It was SO funny. I just kept thinking..."one day he'll be on a date, see a creepy bug, and flick it on his date." I just couldn't get the image out of my mind.....
Tristan was very nervous the next morning, and it just got worse for him the closer it got to his race. At one point he said, "You should stop talking now." I just kind of giggled and closed my mouth. He wasn't being rude, he just needed to work his mind without all the background noise. I felt like such a "mom." There were around 300 of the top boys from all over the state running the race (stiff competition). It was a solid 2 mile course with quite a few hills. Tristan did great. He ran a solid race, and didn't looking like he was killing himself. He got out on a good sprint, then set a good pace for himself. He said he wished he had "kicked it in" a little earlier at the end of the course. He had lost track of where he was in the course, and realized a little late he should have been sprinting. Regardless, he did awesome. He came in 19th place with a time of 12:20. The top 20 runners got a trophy and were named "All-State." So he has a trophy and a title. I was so proud of him. When we got in the car to start the drive home he said, "Well, I'm glad that's over!" I said, "yeah, but I'm so proud of you for seeing it through." He agreed to be grateful to see it through, but still glad it was over. Running isn't his passion...soccer is...he runs to train for soccer. It just so happens he's also a really good runner. So there you go. He opted to be done, and not to continue to Nationals. He is just ready to focus on the soccer season!

The sea of runners before the race. Tristan is not in the photo. The line of boys continues off to the left of the photo, and Tristan was lined up on that side.

Before the race...a little stressed.

Coming into the finish line. Have I mentioned how much I love watching him race? I always get a little teary-eyed. I'm pathetic, I know, but I'm just so proud of how far he has come.

Receiving his trophy and All-State certificate. I was impressed that they said his name right!!! A first!!!

Giving me a look-back to make sure I got the photo I wanted. So sweet.

1 comments:
Way to go, Tristan! That is awesome! So proud of him!
Post a Comment