Tristan has been very busy this spring. We didn't have him in any activities this winter (partly due to me having a baby and not wanting to be running around with a very newborn), and he got pretty bored. He is just a very active kid and needs to be involved in activities that challenge his physical abilities.
He is (of course) playing soccer on the same rec team he's played on for the last 2 years, but he also decided to run track for the school. He had his first meet last Thursday. The girls (yes, all 3) and I sat in the stands for 3 1/2 hours. Track meets are SO long!!! But everyone did really well....even Avery...even after I ran out of warm water for her bottle. She wouldn't drink the cool water, but she waited to break down until we got home....thankfully!! AND we were thoroughly entertained! Tristan did really, really well and it was fun to watch him. He ran the 800, the 4x400 relay and the 4x800 relay. He ran anchor for his 4x800, and helped run his team from 3rd place to 1st place. He got 2nd place in the 800 (even after a rough start), and I am foggy about how the 4x400 went, but I remember being impressed. I'm such a mom of 4...brain is totally fried! He has another meet tonight, and the girls and I will be packing up and being his biggest cheerleaders!

The hand off between Jacob and Tristan during the 4x800. It was a very clean and impressive hand off.
On another note..... Last year, my good friend, Rachel, taught Sunday School for Tristan's age group. She has taught this age group (12 turning 13) for a number of years, and always challenges her students to read the Book of Mormon from start to finish during the year. They had weekly goals, and if they met their weekly goal, they got "scripture candy." If they met their goal of finishing the Book of Mormon within the year, she promised to treat them to dinner and a movie. This year, it was 3 of the boys in her class who met the year goal (Rachel said it was the first time ever...typically it is the girls who finish). I can remember finding Tristan reading the Book of Mormon all year (on vacation; at night before bed; etc), and it was fun to see him get so into it. At one point I even put the audio Book of Mormon on his iPod so he could listen as he read along. It was a great goal and I'm grateful to Rachel for being such a good Sunday School teacher. She made good on her promise and took the boys out to dinner at the Golden Corral, and then to a movie a few weeks ago. She wasn't sure how appropriate it was for her to go out with 3 13 year old boys by herself, nor did she think these boys really wanted to hang out with her, so she convinced our friend, Alli to go along with her. Well, the boys were NOT too impressed with this extra addition. They made Alli sit at a different table so they could have Rachel all to themselves during dinner. I keep telling Rachel, she just doesn't have any concept of how cool she really is!

Tristan, Benjamin, Grayson, and Rachel

1 comments:
What a neat Sunday School teacher! And good for Tristan for reading the Book of Mormon!
Post a Comment