So, the title for this post is a little heartless, but seriously...I'll feel bad about it later...maybe. I am responsible for caring for 5 people and myself. Pets have seriously moved down on the totum pole....big time. I just don't feel for them like I used to...before I had kids. I remember when I was about 9 years old, I had a hamster, and it died, and I must have cried over that stupid rodent for 3 days until my dad finally told me to get over it...and I did.
So about a week and a half ago, Alicia came to me and told me that while she was playing with her bunny in the yard, it ended up hopping under the deck and she couldn't get her out. So finally I went out there with a long piece of PVC pipe to fish out the stinkin' rabbit. Would you know that the thing was playing around with us, and eventually just hopped up to my face. I was so frustrated that I grabbed, practically threw it at Alicia and told her to put it away. Then I told her if she was going to let the rabbit hop around the yard to keep it in the back of the yard away from the deck.
Well, about 2 or 3 days later, she came in and asked me for a flashlight. That's right, the stinkin' bunny got herself under the deck...again. This time it was very cold outside. I told Alicia she needed to get that bunny back in her hutch before she could come inside. Eventually, we were all outside trying to capture the rabbit. We must have looked rediculous. Daniel even chased the thing with a tupperware bin and tried to throw it on top of it to trap it. He also set out a small animal trap with all the food rabbits love, but to no avail. I think the last time I went out to try to get that darn animal was about 11pm. Needless to say, we all came inside and went to bed before the bunny was captured.
Alicia gave a good hearted effort trying to get the bunny over the next week. At times, Tristan and Addi tried to help her. I even blocked off all the entrances to the deck with cardboard boxes except for one little hole hoping for a chance to catch her out in the yard and close off the hole so she'd have no where to go. I even got to have a go with her, but she eventually weasled her way inbetween a couple of the boxes to "safety." Stupid bunny didn't know what was good for her. She got a taste of freedom and there was NO way she was going to willingly go back in that tiny little hutch. I even got a call from our neighbor,
"Katie, what color is your bunny?"
"black"
"oh, well she's out! She's over here in my yard."
"oh, yes, I know. Alicia has been trying her darndest to catch her. She has made a new home under our deck and has made it very clear that she doesn't WANT to be caught."
"That little stinker. And to decide that when it is so cold!"
So, after over a week of good effort, Daniel finally found frozen rabbit guts on the driveway this morning. I wondered how long that rabbit would last...she was definitely tempting fate. I'm sure the same fox that got Frosting (the white rabbit), came back for another meal. At least she wasn't killed just for fun, but so that another animal could have a meal. Poor Alicia was pretty sad though. Daniel told her that Cupcake was eaten by a fox while Alicia was eating breakfast this morning, and apparently she lost her appetite for a little while. I am sad for her, but not sad that I don't have to buy rabbit food, or make sure that Alicia is taking proper care of her, or that the rabbit has enough hay so that she won't get cold, etc, etc, etc. Perhaps I don't care as much for pets anymore because it is just one more thing to nag my kids about, or one more thing to argue with my husband about..... Or perhaps I'm just getting old.....

Alicia with Cupcake when she was just a tiny bunny. June 2009

1 comments:
My rule: anything that poops pellets. NO WAY allowed in my house. Just set some house rules. You definitely have a lot on your plate!
Post a Comment