
Tanzania is on the east coast and is one of the countries in dark green. There is a body of water (Lake Victoria) in the northwest part of the county...Mwanza is located on the southern part of Lake Victoria. He's got just over 3 weeks left in Mwanza, and then he travels back to Niarobi, Kenya (the orange country just north of Tanzania) for a week. He will spend his time in Nairobi with the Vanderbilt International Anesthesia program.
Last Saturday, Daniel left for his 5 week African adventure. My husband amazes me. I was an absolute nervous wreck, but he was just so excited! Since Wes was here, we left the kids home with him while I took Daniel to the airport. On the way, Daniel says something like this, "the next time I make this trip...." I go, "Can we please make sure you can make it back from THIS trip before planning the next one???" He just chuckles and tells me I worry too much. Then proceeds to tell me that if any thing should happen to him he has a whole folder on the computer documenting his travel insurance (so that just in case something happens his body will be shipped back to the states), the new life insurance policy he bought before he left, etc. AND HE TELLS ME I WORRY TOO MUCH!!! I wouldn't have to worry if he would just stay PLANTED!!! So he laughs at me again, and I ask, "Can you please tell me of 1 other person from your program, who has kids at home, planning to go to Kenya on the Vanderbilt program??" Silence..... Because he knows what an awesome wife I am to be okay with him galavanting off for 5 weeks leaving 3 kids and a prego wife!!
Anyway....he flew from Nashville, to Detroit, to Amsterdam, to Nairobi, Kenya where he was supposed to lay-over for a day. Unfortunately, the airport in Nairobi had just come off of being on strike and was crazy busy. Apparently he ended up standing in a lot of "smelly, long lines" before they told him he'd have to wait another day. He did call me at 4am on Monday morning....I was totally delirious, but it was good to hear his voice. I had also received a few emails from him, and he was just loving his adventure!! The only thing I could think of was that I was SOOO grateful he didn't talk me into taking the whole family with him! What a nightmare that would have been!!! When they finally got him out of Nairobi, they made him lay-over in Kilimanjaro for a few hours before finally arriving in Mwanza, Tanzania Tuesday evening.
He is doing well and bought himself a cell phone, so I have a phone number I can reach him on. I found an international calling card online for only 7 cents/minute. He's planning on going on a Safari (he is pretty close to the Serengeti and also some game reserves) sometime while he is there, so there will be lots of awesome pictures to post soon! He's working on getting into the groove of giving 3 lectures a day to his 9 students. Apparently they are in their last month of training, and I asked him if they all speak english....he hesitated and said, "well, kind of." I love my husband! The fact he finds all of this fun and exciting is baffling to me! And the fact that he sleeps in a 3 bedroom hut inside a mosquito net with 2 guards standing outside is also totally comforting..... He says he feels pretty safe...but who knows!!! Maybe he'll get on the blog and post with HIS point of view!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment