CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The County Fair 2009

Last Friday night we went to the county fair. We went for the following reasons....

#1 It was a perfect opportunity for us to do something as a family before Daniel left for Africa on Saturday.
#2 SAVANNAH JACK was playing.
#3 Wes had never experienced a county fair.

The county always puts on a great fair with lots of rides, shows, and animals. We got there a little early so that we could go see the animals before the Savannah Jack show. Alicia and Addi went through the barn where they have each child pretend to be a farmer. The kids go to different stations "harvesting" different vegetables and fruit (all plastic), they "plant" and "water" a kernel of corn, they "milk" a cow, collect an egg from the chickens (all plastic...although Alicia thought the egg was real for a little while), etc. Then they take their "goods" to the Farmer's Market to sell and in return they get a "$1" bill that they get to take to the General Store to buy an apple, animal crackers, or ice-cream sandwich. Of course my girls went straight for the ice-cream!!

After that, we walked around visiting with lots of different animals. Then it was time for the Savannah Jack show! I had bought Wes a t-shirt and sent it to him while he was on his mission, so he and Daniel both sported their Savannah Jack shirts (they even got recognized during the show from the band for wearing them). Wes had not even heard their music before, and I was a little nervous since he isn't a huge country fan, but he ended up really enjoying it. Chalk up another Savannah Jack fan!!!! I made sure to buy him an autographed cd, and a new t-shirt (since his old one was faded) to reward him for his excellent taste in music!

After the show, we watched a BMX bike show, and then went outside to let the kids ride on the rides. I was grateful for the opportunity to do something really fun as a family before Daniel left.....stay tuned for updates on his grand adventure! Wes left on Sunday evening. We had a great time together. We shopped, he worked out, went on a few runs with Daniel, went to the county fair, did a little shooting, and caught up on the last 2 years. After I took him to the airport, I found myself really sad, but the kids were super nice and helpful and we all toddled off to bed pretty early. So far we are all surviving pretty well....it almost just seems like Daniel has been on a really long call at the hospital so far...I'm sure that feeling will wear off pretty soon!!!!!

Alicia and Addi at the beginning of the Farmer's Exhibit.

Addi "milking" the cow.

Addi and Alicia in Daniel's dream car.

Enjoying the fruits of their labors...

Wes and Tristan. Tristan has become such a good sport about all the "little kid" stuff we do. I try to keep it balanced, but I think he gets the short end of the stick more often than not....

The camel whisperer....

Alicia attempted to be the llama whisperer, but quickly changed her mind!

Mike, Don, and Jay

"You gotta have a fiddle in the band..."

For all the times I've gone to their shows, I'd never gotten a picture with them. So this was my chance! Don, Mike, me, & Jay. Although they did tease me that they don't take photos with pregnant ladies!




















Addi with her best buddy, Brynn (Mike's daughter). They were so cute dancing together throughout the show. And I loved that they were wearing similar outfits. When Addi heard we were going to the fair, she insisted on changing her outfit, putting on her boots, and putting her hair up in a ponytail with a "big bow." I couldn't figure out how she put all of this together on her own.

Brynn and Addi on the kiddy roller-coaster. They loved it! Wes and I just sat back watching wondering what in the heck is so fun about going around and around and around in a circle.

Tristan and Alicia on one of the really barfy and I'm sure totally unsafe big kid rides.

0 comments: