Daniel has been gone for just over 2 weeks so far, which means we only have 3 more to go! So far we have held up pretty well....we all have our not-so-fabulous moments, but we are all trying to be understanding of each other. My favorite comment from Addi this week was, "Mommy, I'm really missing Daddy today." I was surprised at how well she could put into words how she was feeling. Tristan and Alicia have both been big helpers and are really trying to be good sports about everything. I can tell it is wearing on them not having Daniel around, but it helps that we can call and talk to him on a regular basis.
I try to keep myself busy with projects so that the days go by a little faster. I finished my valence for over the kitchen sink, so now I feel like my kitchen is finished! YAY!!! It's only been a work in progress for a year! I've also found that I am quite capable and handy with a power drill! I hung a few things in the laundry room that I've been wanting done for quite some time. There's something about not having a husband around that has made me feel quite empowered! I'm excited to see what else I will find myself capable of before Daniel's return!

Last time I was in KC I took the measurements for this valence with me so I could ask my dad to construct it for me. He did....so nice, and I finally finished covering it last week. I was so impressed with my ability to hang IT, that I proceeded to hang the towel ring, paper towel holder, and key ring holder in the laundry room. I'm pretty much an expert with a power drill now.


We also attended a Court of Honor for Tristan's scout troop. I was amazed by all of the things he has accomplished. I felt a little sheepish getting the "mother's pins" when I literally have NOT been involved in his scouting at all. I'm pretty lucky he is a pretty self-motivated individual.

This photo didn't turn out very well...what can I say, Daniel has the good camera in Africa!
Tristan was also a champ last night to let me go hang out with the ladies for a few hours after I put Alicia and Addi to bed. I wasn't sure how he'd feel about being left at night with them (he IS 13...I should have these kind of perks), but I think what made it okay for him was that I'd already put the girls to bed. When I came home just after 11 (my decided curfew), I was surprised to find him tucked in bed and very much asleep. I desperately needed some time out of the house with the ladies, so I was very grateful for the opportunity!
Daniel spent the weekend on Safari and he apparently took hundreds (literally) of pictures. He said he'd invest some money at the internet cafe and get some of the best photos uploaded to the blog. It makes it all worth it when I hear how much he is enjoying himself and right in his element. We are such different personalities, but I strongly feel that is what makes us "work." My idea of a good time is a 5 star hotel and a beach.....Daniel's idea of a good time is a crazy adventure into the unknown. I guess I can look forward to a 5 week get-away to some beach somewhere...sometime...right???

1 comments:
The valence turned out so great! I can't wait to see all your improvements in person this weekend. It's nice that you could leave the kids with Tristan. I'm sure he did great and it was a MUCH needed break for you!
Post a Comment