CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 13, 2009

O Canada/Part 2

Cari and I were so concerned about how our time on the road with 5 kids would go, that we hadn't given much thought to how we would FEED our families while we were camping. We learned right before we went camping that we would need a propane or butane stove to cook on and cooking ware...both things we did not pack. We just weren't worried about it before! We had too much else on our minds!! It was a good thing that our Canadian cousins took pity on us and helped supply us with a butane burner and butane. We picked up a $5 frying pan and flipping spatula along with some pathetic groceries (peanut butter, honey, bread, pancake mix, hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, etc) at the Canadian Superstore. We lucked out again when our cousin, Karen and her husband, Brad (the real outdoorsie type) camped with their 2 kids right next to us! They made sure to supplement our pathetic attempt at meals with pork loin, steak, fried potatoes, bacon, eggs, and much more.




















On left: Alicia, Lily, Addi and Luke playing in a tree by Cari's tent.
On right: My cousin LaNae with Lily and Addi. They all became quick friends.

Cari and I were also pleasantly surprised at how much fun we had camping. When I told Daniel this, he got excited that I had changed my mind about camping...I sadly had to inform him that it was so much fun because of the company we kept, and not necessarily the camping part. Wearing mittens and a toque to bed is not my idea of a good time!!! We enjoyed skipping rocks into the lake, hiking up to Blakiston Falls in Red Rock Canyon, watching the kids build a "bridge" in the river, daily walks to the candy store, going to the park, playing games late into the night, and just enjoying everyone's company.





















On left: Lily, Addi, Alicia, Katelyn, Sam, Emma, and my cousin Josh all helping in building the "bridge" in which my cousin, Norman's oldest daughter engineered.
On right: Addi posing by the lake with the mountains in the background. So beautiful.

LaNae and I decided to rent motorbikes one night for an hour and rode them up into the mountains. It was so beautiful. We giggled the whole time, caught bugs in our mouths and eyes, and putzed up the big hills.

Tristan, Alicia, and Adelaide at the base of our hike in Red Rock Canyon.

Addi and Lily posing by Blakiston Falls.

My dad, Tristan and Gavin hopping the rocks up Red Rock Canyon. I remember the summer after I got glasses (I must have been 8 or 9 years old) we were hopping the rocks and my glasses slipped off my nose and into the freezing cold water. My dad was not impressed (to say the least). He somehow got a hold of a milk jug, cut out the bottom, and used it to look thru to see if he could see my glasses at the bottom. Sure enough, he spotted them, but the water was deep and cold. My very brave and athletic cousin, Renae, saved the day and got herself mostly wet (and it wasn't a warm day) to fish out my glasses. I guess I have issues with dropping things in the water in Red Rock Canyon...this year it was my camera!! Luckily it was in its case, and I scooped it out before the water was able to do any damage!!

Alicia, Addi, Luke, and Cari along the river in Red Rock Canyon. It felt so good after our hike to put our feet in the freezing cold water!

Our camp site. Cari let me borrow her 6-man tent which held a queen and 2 twin air mattresses beautifully (bottom left). My parents tent is in the middle and Cari borrowed a 4 man tent from Renae (top right).

Alicia with Grandma Alta

On Saturday, we borrowed the church building in Waterton to have a little program to pay tribute to my grandmother. A few of the great-grandchildren displayed their talents, a few people spoke, and my sister presented us all with a fabulous book paying tribute to my Grandmother complete with memories and pictures submitted by each of grandma's children, sons-in-laws, and grandchildren. She spent countless hours putting it together and is definitely a priceless possession. By the time we brought out the cake, my grandmother was so overcome with gratitude and emotion, and she'll probably not like me much for posting this picture of her with her cake, but I felt it was an important moment!

Before the dinner and program, my mom planned a bunch of relay games for the kids to play in a field close to the church. I always admire her creativity with these activities and games...and the kids loved it! Here's Tristan running the bean bag race.

Alicia running with a cup of water.

Addi behind Gavin passing the ball thru her legs during the ball-passing relay.

All the game participants got lots of goodies! Here is Addi sporting her new sunglasses and Capri Sun purse (which was my nemesis the whole way home as she spilt the contents repeatedly in the car, and then screamed and hollered about it).

Grandma Alta with her 6 children.
l-r Norma(4), Myrle(2), Lloyd (1), Grandma, Paul(3), Darlene(5) and Joanne(6).

Grandma with her cake.
The sweetest part of the program is when Grandma stood up to say a few words. Her advice was simple, yet profound, and I'll never forget it. She said, "Keep the Faith." My grandma is an amazing woman and I learned even more astounding things about her from this trip. I truly feel blessed and honored to be among her descendants.

0 comments: