CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Camping...sort of

Apparently Brian has been begging Daniel to camp at the cabin (Brian is working in Utah for the next few months; he left the day after my dad finished building it, so he hasn't gotten a chance to USE it yet), so last night Daniel somehow suckered me into joining he and the kids on a "camping" trip. Can you call it camping when you are surrounded by four walls and are kept heated by a wood burning stove? Daniel made us taco soup over the outdoor fire pit last night, and then made us pancakes and eggs this morning. I am not a camper....I honestly don't understand packing up all your stuff, then unpacking it so you can sleep uncomfortably for a night and get all dirty and smelly, and then repack all your stuff so you can come home and clean everything up and do 3 extra loads of laundry. I guess I just don't get into the spirit of it enough. My stipulation for going was that I sleep on the air mattress which idealy would be blown up by the air compressor powered by the generator. Unfortunately, the compressor wasn't working properly...I was less than impressed and threatened to go home, but Daniel convinced me to stay and sleep on an egg foam thing. Not the same as an air mattress, but it was alright. Every few hours I would poke Daniel to get him to put more wood in the stove so we would stay warm. We had all 3 kids sleeping upstairs in the loft on the side with the stove pipe so they would stay toasty warm. We all had an enjoyable time, and I MIGHT do that kind of camping again.....

5 comments:

Judi said...

Yeah I am not so sure you can call that camping! I like that kind though! We basically live in the woods now and have our own fire pit. I figure we don't have to ever go camping again, right? But Ben and the kids don't agree! :) I guess you can leave the burdens of home behind and just focus on having fun as a family, right?

Judi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I feel the exact same way. Camping using cabins is a big improvement from tents and all the work they take but still is all that work worth the experience? If you've got a husband who does all the cooking, I think I could handle that.

Megan said...

Isn't sleeping in a Motel 6 camping?? I agree what is the point to lug all the stuff up there and work!! However, my husband loves camping too!!

Meagan said...

Katie! Now you have my blog address! YAY! Your kids are ADORABLE. I'm excited to see you this summer.