WARNING: Gruesome photo at the end of this post....DO NOT scroll all the way down if you have a weak stomach.
Saturday night Daniel and I attended graduation for the anesthesia department. Not only do they recognize the graduating residents, but also those who are finishing fellowship. Daniel and David were the first to be recognized. Tracy, the Chronic Pain fellowship director, had written a really awesome poem about them. She set the bar very high for all the other fellowship programs. She out-shined them all...hands down. Daniel is supposed to get a copy of the poem. It was really nice. And Daniel is just about done with his training....he's done 9 years of post-graduate work. I'm exhausted...I can only imagine how HE feels.

Daniel and David
And after ALL of this...he is VERY cautious about writing me any kind of prescription. It's seriously annoying. For real...after all this training, and I can hardly get anything out of him. To be honest, I understand his point of not wanting to treat his spouse, but sometimes it is just irritating.
On Sunday night, though, I was finally able to be the patient of "the good doctor." I was busy in the kitchen making dinner and talking to my little bro, Wes, on the phone. I'd been going in and out of the fridge getting various ingredients. After I put the green beans back in, I shut the door, and a glass vase (that had neglectfully been placed) fell off the top of the fridge and somehow managed to give me a really deep cut on the back of my ankle. I screamed, then realized I was cut, called for Daniel, then told poor Wes I had to go cause I'd cut myself really bad. Daniel was in the kitchen in no time at all...told the kids to stay upstairs (thankfully they were NO where NEAR the kitchen at the time), and put the dog outside. There were literally thousands of pieces of glass all over the floor. I started to not feel very well as I stood there looking at the inside of my leg....literally. Daniel got me to sit on top of the counter since I was barefooted. I sat there as he got the glass cleaned up...he was a strong, steady and calm force. Good thing, because I swear I would have passed out. Then he gathered his supplies to stitch me up. I laid face down on the kitchen island with my leg dangling off the end. I was incredibly impressed with his bedside manner. I felt totally peaceful and safe. I did call Wes back shortly after I got on the counter to let him know I was ok....poor guy...I think I scared the wee wee out of him. After he got me good and numb he did some cleaning and investigating. Luckily there were no glass pieces stuck in there and I had also just barely missed cutting my Achilles tendon (if it had been cut, we would have had to go to the ER). Daniel gave me 12 stitches and a great cocktail of advil and tylenol. I did great until about 2 am when the meds wore off....THAT was painful!!! "The Good Doctor" got me on a great schedule, and I'm doing much better. I walk around with a gimpy limp, but I'm SOOO grateful it was ME that the vase fell on, and not any of the kids. I'm grateful baby Avery wasn't hugging on my leg when it happened either. It could have been so much worse. I'd rather take on any cut, bruise, broken bone, etc, then have to see any of my children suffer that kind of pain. And I'm also grateful to have "The Good Doctor" living right in my home...even if I can't get him to write me simple prescriptions!!!

Yep, that's my heel...freshly stitched.

2 comments:
HOLY COWWWWWWWWWW!!!
Um, ya having a doctor as a husband is awesome. All Ryan will be able to do is SUE everyone he comes in contact with. LOL!!!
I always get sooo anxious thinking if Brinley would have been there when I got hurt, or dropped something. Seriously, like I almost started crying reading the end of your post when you were saying how you were grateful you didn't have any kids around. Ahhh Katie. You're superwoman. And tell Dan that I Said to get you MORE drugs!!!
Yikes! Ouchie! I'm glad you had all the materials at home so Daniel could take care of you. Lily sliced her head at dance class a couple of weeks ago and Seth had to bring home the Dermabond and steri-strips. Anyway, I hope it is healing well. Your heel looks nice. Not all calloused and dry like mine. :)
Post a Comment