The kids and I took our annual 2 week vacation with out Daniel (not because we like it that way...but because he can't get time off in July since that is when the new residents start and they need the upper-level residents to train the new residents). I often ask myself during these 2 weeks why I continue to take this trip alone with 3 kids every year...but then I see the bonds they are forming with their cousins, and decide that it's probably worth all the hassle.
We left on July 7th for Kansas City...we made pretty good time...only 9 hours! My kids tell people how when we take trips, "Mom never stops, so you better go to the bathroom when she does stop." I have to chuckle to myself, because that is the way it was for me as a kid when my family went on trips. We didn't stop unless we needed gas...and I know I stop more often than that!
We spent a lot of time with my older brother, Martin and his family in Kansas City. In fact, he and his wife, Mari, and 2 kids (Ryan and Kate) stayed at my parents house to watch my kids while my mom and I went to a wedding for the weekend. It was so nice to be kid-free, but I think Martin and Mari got an excellent dose of birth control!! The wedding was in Utah, so my mom and I got to spend the weekend with my younger brother, Mitchell, who is going to school at BYU.

(Adelaide with baby Kate, Martin, and Ryan)
After I got back from the wedding, we stayed in Kansas City for another day and then left to spend the afternoon at "the farm" with Daniel's grandparents on our way to the Lake. They live just outside Chanute, Kansas which is about 2 hours south of KC. Then it is about a 4 hour drive to the lake. Grandma Mary made us an excellent dinner of baked chicken with yummy home grown corn from Daniel's cousin's corn field and juicy blackberries from Aunt Patsy's garden. It was nice to spend a few hours there catching up on all the family news.

(Grandma Mary, Adelaide, Grandpa Wendell, Alicia, Tristan and Aunt Patsy)
Then it was off to the Lake for Camp Nagrenol (the annual grandkid camp that Daniel's parents put on...Nagrenol is Lonergan backwards). This year the older kids were assigned KP duty and it was fun to see them interact together while cleaning up. The kids enjoyed swimming in the pool, riding on the boats and wave runner, playing with cousins, going bowling, going to "Big Surf" (the local water park), and of course the annual treasure hunt. I am amazed every year how much all the kids get into these activities; and it was especially fun to see the older cousins helping the younger cousins. I always find it challenging to get good pictures during camp because all 3 of my kids are always in 3 different directions and it just always seems so chaotic that I don't get my camera out and take pictures...even though I carry it with me everywhere...it's such a shame! If Daniel was with me it wouldn't be a problem at all! It's amazing what an extra set of hands can do! Every year my sister and her kids are invited as honorary Lonergan's, and my father-in-law always makes a joke about maybe arranging a trade for my sister instead of me....at least I think he is joking...she IS quite fabulous!!!

(Allyssa, Morgan & Adelaide swimming)

(Lily and Addi on the boat for the photo scavenger Treasure Hunt)

(putting the pieces of the puzzle together to unveil the Treasure map and the hiding place for the treasure...for every correct photo taken on the scavenger hunt, the kids got a piece of the treasure map)

(All the campers with the found treasure. L-R Timmy, Alicia, Izzy, Tamblyn, Morgan, Tristan, Austin, Addi, Lily, Max, Allyssa and Luke. The only camper missing in the picture is baby Rocky.)
We made it home safe and sound and will be finishing off our summer travels at the beginning of August to my cousin's wedding in Charlotte, North Carolina and then the kids start school on August 11th. I'd ask where has the time gone, but I think I'm totally ready to send my kids back to school!!!!

2 comments:
don't know how you do it all. You're so grown up, and you're just 4 months older than me.
What a fun trip. I am so impressed that you travel without Dan on such long road trips. I've never gone more than four hours without Ben.
Post a Comment