CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 05, 2012

December 2011

December was a very busy month for our family. We started the month (actually the end of November) with gutting our master bathroom and we are still in the midst of the remodel. When I say "we," I really mean my dad...since he's the one actually doing the work. Daniel and I just get to do the fun stuff...like pick paint, tile, fixtures, the vanity, the cabinet, bath tub (it's a claw foot tub...super fancy), etc. We also get the not-so-fun part...PAYING for it. So my dad has been living with us since Thanksgiving (minus the week we all went home for Christmas). It's been quite lovely, and we are excited about the progress of our bathroom...but that's a whole other blog for another time.

Of course there was our ward Christmas party at church. The Relief Society (the women's organization) was put in charge, and since I serve in the presidency, that meant I was partially responsible. You could say I felt totally overwhelmed and out of my league, but when all was said and done...I think it went rather well. We had it on a Saturday morning since it is easier to serve pancakes than a ham dinner. We had a short little musical program. I got our good friend Mike Ulvila (who is also in our ward) to sing "The Friendly Beasts" and then I had children dressed as the friendly beasts come out and sit by the baby Jesus as Mike sang about them. It was super cute...especially the little boy playing the cow. He was NOT happy about being the cow, but I had no time to change it, so I basically had to push him onstage. He was not the least bit impressed, but it made for some good comedy. After all of that, we had Santa visit the children in another room (can't very well have Santa in Bethlehem). The ladies I serve with are amazing, so much of the success goes to them. I was in charge of the program and I felt like it was totally chaotic...you live and learn, right?


Another gal in the presidency had her husband build and stain the stable. So nice, eh? Another gal painted the backdrop, but you can't really appreciate it in this photo. This is Mike singing with the "friendly beasts" gathered around baby Jesus. Adelaide was the Rooster...she's in white sitting right in front of the manger.


We had our good friend, Dever, play Santa for us. He's a perfect Santa...6'7". He was having a little trouble with his beard. Adelaide thought he was quite entertaining.


Avery loves Dever. Loves him. She saw him in the Santa costume from a little ways down the hall...pointed, and said, "Dever." She was totally not fooled, but didn't want to get too close either!

We also were able to celebrate my dad's 59th birthday with him. I think it was kind of special for all of us. I made "Carlos's Lime Fajitas" from my family cookbook....SOOO delicious. I was totally lame when it came to the cake...the Christmas party was that same day, and I didn't get around to baking him a cake, so we bought one from Publix. It actually ended up being pretty good. Unfortunately I only had a "1" and a "9" candle to go on the cake. So he could be "91" or "19". I decided to be kind and had it be "19." 

 Adelaide has been taking gymnastics at the same gym for over a year, so she was eligible for a trophy. She was SO super excited. She couldn't wait to get home and show everyone. She was quite proud of it because she finally had a trophy just like Tristan! Tristan has a lot of trophies, and she apparently thinks they are fabulous...and she totally idolizes her older brother, so there you go.



A Presbyterian church in Nashville puts on a "Walk Thru Bethlehem" for one Sunday at the beginning of December. We have gone in previous years, but this year we took the bus. Everything is better on the bus. The walk-thru is absolutely amazing. They literally transform the basement of their church into old time Bethlehem. It's wall to wall fabric, wood chips on the floor, Roman guards, a census card to fill out, people dressed in authentic clothing and talking to us about how things were back then, and also telling us about the new born babe, but to be sure to keep it quiet...we couldn't let the Romans know!


the kids love to lounge on the bean bags while we ride the bus...totally safe


Avery caught on quite quickly.


 There was a long line to get inside (apparently Bethlehem was overcrowded), so they had barn animals the kids could pet to help pass the time.


Avery looking at the clay pottery table. Note the wood chips on the floor. I wouldn't want to be responsible for getting THAT cleaned up!


I loved the stone olive press. Here is Adelaide helping make some olive oil.


Beautiful, right? 


the fruit market...the kids got to taste pomegranate


Of course baby Jesus was outside in the stable. Avery had made an extra doll inside to give to baby Jesus, but when it came down to it, she just wanted to exchange it for another one! Common problem among 2 year olds, I'm sure. Somehow I convinced her to leave it.


Avery taking a look at baby Jesus. Beautiful photo isn't it?

1 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Oooo I can't WAIT to see the bathroom pictures!! Your dad is so talented. my mom keeps talking about him putting in some cabinants in the dining area in the kitchen for more storage, but she said she wants to do it in the summer so he can keep busy with that and going on the boat! When are we going to see each other??? This summer??????