I figured I'd better get a blog out about Thanksgiving before I embark upon my Christmas festivities and then become REALLY behind in my blogging. Thanksgiving in Nashville this year was really, really wonderful. My brother, Martin, and his family, and my parents all drove out from Kansas City to spend the weekend with us. We had a full house and we all had a really good time. Martin and his family arrived on Wednesday night...just in time for a late dinner and then to shuffle the kids off to bed. Everyone was so excited to see their cousins that it took a little while to get them interested in actually sleeping. I think there was more than one reference made by Martin, my dad, and I about how we used to love to visit Grandma Alta at her "Cedar Log Cabin" in southern Alberta when all our cousins were there. We would all throw our sleeping bags out on the floor of the basement and listen while our Uncle Barney told us a story using each of our names. Of course, Uncle Barney came down a while after we were "put to bed" because we were all messing around instead of going to bed. So we figured it was somewhat healthy and normal to have excited kids...until a certain point, and then there was some shuffling around to other sleeping arrangements until better behavior was exhibited.
My parents arrived late, late, late on Wednesday night (early, early Thursday morning). We had beautiful weather the whole time. Thursday morning Martin, Daniel, Tristan, and Alicia went to our church annual "Turkey Bowl." It always consists of a football game on one field and a soccer game on the other. Can you guess which event my family participates in? It was Martin's first time ever playing soccer, and I think he really enjoyed himself (although he was a bit sore the next few days). I spent much of the day cooking and enjoying the company of Mari and my mom in the kitchen. I spent a lot of the weekend cooking....but it was so worth it because the food was amazing!! I didn't mind so long as I had someone in there keeping me company and lending a hand as needed. Thanksgiving dinner was excellent. The turkey didn't have a pop-up timer, and that ended up a blessing because we were more careful about the cooking time and as a result had a very moist turkey. And then there was the stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, sauteed green beans, cranberry-orange relish, green salad, rolls with homemade jam, and of course sparkling apple cider and cranberry punch to drink.
We enjoyed dessert with my friends Alli and Lana and their families. We had a wide variety of pies and treats. Then there was the browsing thru the Black Friday ads. Sorry, peeps, I didn't have it in me this year. I opted out. I was so stinkin' tired. I'd been cooking all day Wednesday and Thursday, and I was worn out!! So instead we played a few games and toddled off to bed.
We continued to have gorgeous weather the entire weekend, so the kids really enjoyed spending time together outside and us adults couldn't help but join in on the fun. Martin, Mari, Daniel and I were also able to attend a session at the temple on Friday night while Grandma and Grandpa stayed at home with the little sleeping kiddos. Saturday afternoon we all (except Grandma and Grandpa who opted to stay home with a napping Avery) attended a baptism of some kids we go to church with. Martin and his family and my mom all drove back together on Sunday after Sacrament meeting. A liberal 10 hour trip turned into a 12-13 hour trip due to the holiday traffic, but it was such a wonderful weekend and I hope it was worth it to them! I always love it when my family comes out to see me. I feel like I live so far away from everyone else, so it makes me feel extra special and loved when they make the effort to visit.
All of our pets seemed to be a big hit. Here is Martin holding our ball python, "Guess."
Ryan especially liked the snakes and lizards. He got very excited to help Uncle Dan feed them, care for them, and of course, hold them.
Seth loved the cat. Unfortunately the cat isn't super fond of kids, but she didn't get upset with him, she just kept walking away everytime he got close. Seth followed her all over the yard...super cute.
And then there's Harlee....
She was NOT a big hit...at first. Poor Seth cried everytime she walked into the room. Kate was pretty nervous around her as well. But by the end of the weekend Seth didn't hardly take notice of her (hard to do with a 110 pound dog), and Kate was getting upset in the backyard because Harlee wouldn't play with her. Kate was apparently also saying how much she was missing Harlee on the ride home.
Kate really liked riding Avery's tricycle. Addi and Ryan took turns riding the scooter and the bike. Seth and Avery took turns getting pushed in the pink car (not pictured).
Seth is such a handsome little boy...
Tristan and Martin played a bit of basketball...
...and so did Ryan and Tristan.
Tristan has always been so good with younger kids. He's patient and kind and they all just automatically gravitate towards him.
And of course Martin and Dad each had a turn taking the Harley for a spin. Don't they both look like they're in "Hog Heaven"??
My dad stayed behind because we have asked him to remodel our master bathroom. That's a whole other blog in itself. He has made quite a lot of progress these few weeks, but he'll have to come back after our Christmas trip to finish up. We are all heading out together to go to Kansas City, and then we will go to the Lake to visit Daniel's parents on Christmas Day and stay there another few days before we drive back home. Dad will make it back out sometime around then as well. The kids have all really enjoyed having him around and it has been quite nice (besides the mess of the construction, but such is the nature of the work, right?). So there you go. Hopefully I'll get the beginning of our December up before we leave, but no guarantees!!! It may just blend in with all my Christmas news.












1 comments:
Great post!!!!
I can't wait to see pictures of the new bathroom!
and yes, I am pretty sure i would cry seeing Harlee enter a room too. That dog is HUGE. but so beautiful. She seems like such a sweetheart!
Post a Comment