
At some point as you are growing up, birthdays take on a different life form. It's hard to explain in words, but I'm sure you all know exactly what I am talking about. As a kid, and even as a teenager, and I'd even go so far as into early 20's, birthdays are something highly anticipated and exciting. And then you hit the wall. It's just not the same year after year. Some years may be more celebrated and more exciting, but not typically on an every year kind of basis. Am I making any sense? Anyway, I think that is how Daniel felt this year on his birthday earlier this month. He turned 33. He's been super stressed about his oral anesthesia board exam, and family life has been crazy busy, so we played it low key for his birthday this year. Daniel isn't one for a lot of hoop-la anyway, so I just tried to make it special. I went to the party store to get some big obnoxious birthday balloons (mission accomplished). I made an elegant birthday dinner of salmon, rice pilaf, brussels sprout, salad, and cantaloupe. It was super delicious. Then we had Costco chocolate cake for dessert. I got him a few little gifts. Daniel LOVES peanut m&ms, so I got him a jumbo bag from Costco. I also put a big bow on Harlee and reminded him that she is the gift that keeps on giving. It has been such a stretch for me to have this dog...she has literally about driven me over the edge. So maybe it is totally selfish of me to count her as his written board exam gift, Christmas gift, AND birthday gift, but every time I have to clean up an unpleasant mess, or spend time training her, or taking her outside, or whatever....I think how happy I am that Daniel has HIS dog (are you sensing the sarcasm?) Anyway...maybe once she is done being a puppy, I will find more room in my heart for her. I tried to tell Daniel that I'm really not very attached to her, and his response was, "Sometimes these things take time." He is not willing to give up on it! So I guess I'll need to keep my heart open! Happy Birthday Daniel!!!

See the obnoxious balloons? Aren't they fabulous??? And do you love the pink flower wrapping paper? I had forgotten to pick up more wrapping paper at the store, and this was all they had.

The blessed bag of peanut m&m.

Blowing out the candles. I love Avery's face in this pic!

0 comments:
Post a Comment