The rest of July has gone by in a wink!! I can hardly believe that it is almost August. Do you remember how time seemed to go so slow when you were a kid?? I long for those days!!! Life flies by too fast sometimes!!
So after we got home from North Carolina, we were all home for about a week before I sent Tristan on an airplane...by himself...to Utah. I don't know what I was thinking 3 months ago when we decided to sign him up for a BYU soccer camp..... I didn't think anything of it...sending my 14 year old son on an airplane, alone...when the last time (and only time) he flew was when he was 9 years old.....and then it got closer, and I admit I started to freak out a little bit! I'm SUCH a MOM!!!! I managed to get him on a flight that stopped, but didn't require him to change planes. I also found out that I could accompany him beyond security to his gate....big sigh of relief! And I admit...I got a little teary as I saw him walk down the jet-way. He looked back at me, I waved....he kept walking, then turned and smiled a big, confident smile, and gave me a little wave......I tell ya...I almost lost it right then and there! I was overcome with the fact that my little boy is growing up. I feel like I got jipped with my time with him...heck, I missed out on 9 years!! Anyway, after an hour delay, he got on his plane, stopped in Denver without a hitch, and made it to Salt Lake safe and sound where Uncle Seth and Uncle Wes greeted him. I was such a nervous wreck, and Seth had a good time teasing me.
Tristan enjoyed a few days staying with Cari and Seth. Cari made him breakfast every morning (spoiled rotten). Seth, Tristan, and Wes hiked up Squaw Peak. Apparently Seth and Wes were sucking wind, but Tristan was practically bored. Oh to be in that good of shape.... They also attempted to float down the Provo River, but the raft blew a few holes. Savannah Jack was opening for Colin Raye at a festival in Draper City, so I sent out new Savannah Jack t-shirts for Seth, Cari, Mitch, and Wes, so they could all wear them at the concert. Apparently it was a good show (compete with front row seats). The band loved that they had some super-fans, and asked them multiple times to model their shirts for the crowd. Tristan found it ironic he was seeing a band in Utah that he could see anytime in Nashville. Mike even gave Tristan a shout out for mowing his lawn the day before he left for Utah.

Tristan hiking Squaw Peak.
Utah is such a pretty state. Daniel and I miss all the outdoorsy things to do there...Daniel is even a little envious of Cari and Seth....
Then it was off to the BYU soccer camp. Tristan was pretty excited for it. Apparently he did well, and was even honored with 1 of 12 awards for being among the best players at the camp. He was pretty proud of that. I'm so glad he has something he can really take ownership in. He works hard at his soccer skills, and I know it must feel good to be recognized for that. He said he had a good time and made some friends. I think he is already looking forward to next year!



Tristan really is fun to watch play. Notice the muscle definition in his legs in the photos above...and the amazing height he gets jumping to head the ball.
While Tristan was at soccer camp, Alicia and Adelaide went to Vacation Bible School at the church that Addi goes to school at during the school year. It is a Presbyterian church, and they did a great job with the Bible school. The girls had a blast doing daily crafts, memorizing bible scripture, learning songs, learning bible stories, and playing outside. They had a performance in the evening for the parents on the last day. It was fun to see them sing the songs and do the actions.

Daniel really got a kick out of these t-shirts for the VBS...."Keep the Flame Burning."
I'm not sure I fully understand his amusement, but whatever...

After Tristan got home from Utah, I had the weekend to get him ready for EFY (Especially For Youth.....a church camp for kids 14-18) at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I drove him and his roommate up on Monday morning, and then the girls and I just continued a few more hours up I-65 just passed Indianapolis to visit some friends we knew from our days in St. Louis. Ben and Judi have 4 kids...Grace, Camille, Seth, and Gabe. It was a really fun visit with a trip to the county fair, the pool, the fountain park, and lots of visiting, yummy food, playing, and giggling. We are so grateful for good friends. It was nice to visit and catch up. Sometimes our days in St. Louis seem like SO long ago, but it's only been 4 years.

Alicia, Camille, Addi, and Seth at the fountain park

Running thru the water caterpillar...

Avery was mostly unimpressed...

Camille, Addi, Alicia, and Grace
Tristan comes home from EFY tomorrow. Then I am debating another quick road trip to Kansas City for a benefit golf tournament for my niece, Kate, and then the kids start school on August 12. Can you believe it? Where has the summer gone???

2 comments:
I'm impressed you already updated your blog! I did call you right after you left but realized it was just your home phone. We have Avery's rattle . . . shall we send it?
Thanks for coming. We really had a great time. The kids played so well together. Do come again - or maybe we'll make it to Nashville someday!
We sure had fun with "T-man." You start school so early! We don't start for another 2 weeks after you!
Post a Comment