Daniel skipped out on both his high school and under-grad graduations. I remember being so upset that he didn't want to go to his graduation at BYU. I had a hard time understanding it. He said, "I'm not even close to being done with my education, so why sit thru a long, boring meeting." I told him, "fine, but you ARE going to your med-school graduation." He wasn't really excited about it, but he went, and he was glad he did.
On Saturday, Daniel graduated from residency. It has been a crazy four years. I would never want to go thru that again, but at the same time, I am so proud of Daniel and all of his accomplishments. He really made the best out of his time as a resident and seized up many of the opportunities Vanderbilt had to offer. He has worked SO hard, and has been tired constantly...it's just about driven me mad. This past year, being chief resident and spending a month in Africa, just about did me in (maybe being pregnant and having a newborn also had something to do with it), but I'm slowly getting my husband back!!!
Don't worry, he's not done, done, he will do a fellowship in Chronic Pain for a year. THEN, he will be done. So as he enters his 26th grade, I will say that I'm not sure it's been "worth" it (yet), but we've sure made the most of it!! Starting July 1st, he is officially a fellow. Then he takes his board exam on August 3rd. He tells me life will be better....no more over-nights, and only a Saturday morning on occasion (when we want extra money). I have already been able to tell a difference in our lifestyle (SOOO much less under-lying stress) and there is definitely a lightness in his step.
We are so proud of you, Daniel!!! Congratulations!! The end is in sight!!!!!!

Daniel accepting his certificate from Dr. Algren. Daniel worked closely with Dr. Algren this year since he is the Program Director, and Daniel was one of the 3 chiefs.

Daniel sitting in his "chair" talking to Liz. Jason is on the other side of Liz, and the three of them were the chief residents for the past year. Their last names all start with "L", so they signed all their emails, L^3. Cute, huh?

The graduating anesthesia class of 2010.
L-R: Brian, Will, Kristalynne, Nancy, Marc, Patrick, Dr. Algren, Sheena, Jason, David (who will also be doing a Chronic Pain fellowship at Vanderbilt), Liz, Daniel, Tracy, and Justin
All but 4 will be staying at Vanderbilt next year to do a fellowship or to join the faculty.

Daniel in his "chair." That's right...he got to take the chair that he sat in on the stage home with him as his graduating gift from Vanderbilt Anesthesiology.

....and it has his NAME on it. Doesn't it make you want to go into medicine so you too can have an awesome chair?? In all seriousness, it IS a really nice wooden chair, and quite comfortable....

6 comments:
wow...congratulations to both of you. tell Daniel hi...and I am so happy for you too Katie....:)
Congratulations Daniel! I think I might switch my major so I can be a doctor and get a pretty sweet chair as well :)
YAY! Now we can expect a great Christmas gift :-)
just kidding!!!
Congrats! I know it's been tough on you but soo worth it. We can't wait to see you guys next weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay to Daniel and you Katie for surviving all of it! I'm glad things are settling down a bit.
congratulations! that is so exciting. that is such an accomplishment. good for you katie too! Brad finally finished this year and has started work. no more school! yeah!
Love the chairs! Congrats to you and Dan!
I e-mailed you - but let me know the dates you may come this way. I think we should be here the end of July!
Post a Comment