CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 19, 2010

Nothing

I apparently have had a hard time getting back into the swing of regular blogging since I had Avery, but I don't feel too bad, because I blame it partially on the new year....a lot of blogs I read are also not posting as often...I notice this happens after the New Year every year. So maybe I'm not doing as bad as I thought!! I've got plenty of excuses....and I'll go thru them all for you.

First of all...my kids have had a ridiculous amount of snow days since going back to school at the beginning of January. I tease them that they've had more snow days than school days so far this year. I also tell them about how when we lived in Canada (I only did kindergarden and grade 1 there) we (being Cari, Martin, and I) had to walk to school in our snow boots, snow pants, heavy coats, mittens, and toques no matter how cold or how much snow. Cari and Martin talk about how my mom would send us to school no matter what because she didn't want us home. We would show up at school, the buses would not have run that morning, so there were very few kids at school to begin with, the power would be out, so we'd sit around playing games or whatever until it was time to bundle up again and walk home. So I told Tristan and Alicia I was going to send them walking to school anyway....they weren't impressed. One morning on a particular snow day, Alicia was in a pretty foul mood, so I asked her what her deal was. This was her reply:

Alicia: I'm sick of being at home!
Me: News Flash!! I'm sick of YOU being at home! But being grumpy isn't going to change anything, so let's just try to enjoy each other. Tuesday's are my day to myself because you, Tristan, and Addi all go to school, but I don't get to have that today. So should I be mean and grouchy at everyone??? (This was not said with a kind, loving voice, which makes this story even better)

Mom of the year, right? This was not the response Alicia was looking for. She couldn't believe that I would be sick of having HER at HOME.

So, excuse #2.....
....need I say more??? Welcome to laundry for 6 people. Mind you....there are 2 loads of whites and 2 loads of Avery's clothes/bedding missing. I also prefer to only do laundry once every 10-14 days (I obviously have to wash Avery's clothes twice as much since she doesn't have as many), so that I don't feel like I am ALWAYS doing laundry....somehow though, I ALWAYS feel like I'm doing LAUNDRY!! And to top it off, I can't get hot water into my machine, so I fill a 2 gallon bucket in my utility sink (luckily right next to the washer), over, and Over, and OVER. It's awesome.

here's what it looks like sorted.....


Excuse #3
I've always wanted a "pretty" bed. So while Daniel was in Africa, I went on a shopping spree and bought all sorts of fabric for all sorts of projects....one of them being pillows for our bed and window treatments for our bedroom windows. I was able to get the big pillows and window treatments made before Avery was born, but didn't finish the other pillows. So, one day I decided to tackle it....I spent 2 days sewing. Here was a conversation about that:

Daniel: I love how you start on a random project while you have all sorts of other projects you are starting.
Me: I'm not STARTING this project....I'm FINISHING it, so that I can really START on the other things.
Daniel: Oh, I thought it was finished with the 2 big pillows.

Men.....so clueless. Here is the finished product.


Excuse #4
I spent quality time making very clever homemade Valentine's for every member of my family. This is something my mom made us do for each other every year growing up. One year Wes made me a heart. On the outside it said, "Heart Heart on the Wall, who's the ugliest of them all?" When you opened the flaps of the heart, there was a not so attractive picture of....ME!!! I think I laughed and cried over that one. This activity sparked another interesting conversation in the car on the way home from church:

Me: So did everyone get their Valentine's this morning?
Everyone: yeah, uh-huh, yep....
Me: Great! You see, the key to good Valentine's is to be completely cheesy.
Tristan: I feel sorry for YOU, though.
My thoughts: were they really THAT bad??
Me: Why? (not really sure if I want to hear the response)
Tristan: Because you didn't even get one Valentine.
Me: Well Tristan, if you feel so sorry for me, then why don't YOU make me one??
Tristan: mumble mumble mumble

Obviously he felt sorry for me, but didn't want to DO anything about it....teenagers. Don't you FEEL the love??? It's not true that I didn't get anything for Valentine's. Daniel got me a dozen red roses and a gift certificate for a massage and a manicure. He's so good.

a few samples of my genius Valentine's.....

Excuse #5
Or maybe it's because I'm totally glued to THESE:


It helps that I have a DVR....I don't think I'd have the patience to watch as much if I couldn't fast forward thru all the commercials and such. But holy cow!!! They have been SOOO good. I am amazed at these athletes (did you SEE Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn, Shani Davis...to name a few)!!! I find myself not only rooting for the American's, but Canadian's as well.....I can't help it. I also can't help getting teary every time I watch a medal ceremony where the Canadian or American National Anthem is played. I'm so pathetic.

Or maybe the reason I'm so bad at blogging lately, is that I have NOTHING to SAY!!!

3 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

There are only 3 in my family and I feel like allllllL I do is laundry! And yes, the olympics have been amazing. Homework has unfortunately taken the very back seat. I will be happy/sad when the olympics end. I need my life back!!

The Taylors said...

Loved this post! you are such a good mom :) Your new baby is adorable!

Karen said...

beautiful quilt!! i'm impressed you sewed it so fast with a new baby. I have also been glued to the olympics.