CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Today was a quite Father's Day. Those of you who really know Daniel, know that he loves to take naps. Those of you who really know me, know that I often think naps are a waste of time. I often feel worse after taking a nap than if I hadn't taken one at all. After 8 years of marriage, I have come to grips with Daniel's love/want/need for naps. So, today, being Father's Day, we all kept ourselves quietly busy so he could take a nap all afternoon. 

This morning, at church, Alicia gave a talk in Primary about Father's day. I thought she did an excellent job. She came up with most of the content herself, I just helped her organize her thoughts.

"I’ve been asked to give a talk on Father’s Day. Father’s Day is a special day when we show love and appreciation to our father’s. We can do this by making him a card, spending time with him, giving him a present, and doing special acts of service for him.

My dad is a marvelous dad. He is nice, funny, patient, hardworking, and really smart. He is great at making breakfast for dinner, it is one of my favorite meals. I especially like it when he makes french toast. My dad really likes animals. He has lizards, snakes, and turtles. One day he would really like to have a farm with goats, cows, horses, and chickens. I remember one Saturday last fall when my dad took me, my brother, and sister, to the Triune Flea Market. There were bunnies for sale. My dad let me and my sister pick a girl bunny, and my brother got to pick the boy. When we got home, my dad taught me how to take care of the bunnies. Every morning I go out to feed them, give them hay, and make sure they have water. They have had baby bunnies 5 times. Right now we have 3 rabbits and 6 baby bunnies. I have really grown to love the bunnies and enjoy being able to care for them, just like my dad cares for me. 

I also know that my Heavenly Father loves me. I have felt his love. When I was 5 years old, my parents adopted me and my brother. A few months later, we were able to go to the temple to be sealed as a forever family. I felt happy and grateful that Heavenly Father loves us enough to create temples and eternal families. I also felt His love when He answered my prayers. I really wanted a cat, but both my parents are allergic to cats. So, I decided to pray to Heavenly Father asking for Him to make it possible for me to have a cat. A few months later, our family got an outdoor cat from a friend. I know it was Heavenly Father answering my prayer. Even though I can’t see Him, these things help me to know that my Heavenly Father loves me, just like my Dad loves me.

            I hope we will all make our Dad’s feel special today so they know we are grateful for all they do. I hope we also remember to thank Heavenly Father for all of our many blessings." 

Isn't that adorable???? Daniel loved it and told her it was the "best Father's Day gift ever." I did get him some new down pillows, but how could I possibly compete with Alicia's gift???

1 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Naps are NOT a waste of time. I cannot go a day without a nap. You should try it sometime! But the nap has to be the perfect amount of time. You're right, sleep too long and you feel like crap. And too short you feel like you didn't sleep at all. But, it takes practice.

And yes that talk from Alicia was the cutest thing I have ever read! What a sweetheart!

We love you guys!