CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gulf Shores, Alabama

For Spring Break this year we decided to do something a little different than we have ever done before. We had been planning to vacation with our good friends, Jason and Rachel, and their two boys, Jacob (age 4) and Seth (age 2), for about a year but had not nailed down the destination until about 2 days before departure! The winner???? Gulf Shores, Alabama. Gulf Shores about 7 hours straight south of us on a little peninsula off of Alabama. Daniel spent many hours on the computer trying to find a little house right on the beach in our price range....and he did...and it was FABULOUS!

We drove down Sunday, and came back on Friday. We had pretty good weather....we had one cool day and one really windy day, but the rest were beautiful. The kids just loved the beach!! We had to force them to come in for meals and to take breaks (since poor little Jacob's eyes got badly sunburned on the first day and Addi came down with a bad upper respiratory cold). On the first day Tristan dug a huge hole in the sand which ended up entertaining everyone (including the adults) for the rest of the vacation. Tristan was great to play with the little boys and he of course took a soccer ball to play with. He also enjoyed doing a little fishing with Daniel. Unfortunately, neither of them caught anything, but Daniel was insistent on telling me that it is about the fishing "experience," not just about what you catch. I think he was singing a different tune by the 3rd day of no success (it made him even more bitter when the old guy from Michigan fishing next to him was bringing in hammer head sharks and sting rays).

Alicia spent a lot of time looking for sea shells. She also made friends with some other kids on the beach. She was always busy....which is pretty unusual for her...at home I feel like I'm constantly tell her to, "find something to do." I guess we just need to move to the beach and then we won't have that problem!!!

Addi just loved doing what everyone else was doing. One day, while everyone was taking naps and watching a moving, I decided to go sit out on the beach. Addi didn't want me out there alone, so she came with me and sat. I couldn't believe how still she was! It could have also had something to do with her not feeling well, but I'd like to think that the beach is just that relaxing!!
Our Beach House.

Seth, Jacob, and Addi playing in the hole.

Classic.

I don't think Tristan landed on Jacob's head, but it sure looks like his is going to!







Daniel fishing.

Alicia and Tristan boogie boarding on the last day. They did pretty well and had a great time! They were all smiles!

On the way home, we stopped at an alligator farm called Alligator Ally where we got to see lots of alligators (imagine that). Daniel and Jason are big into reptiles so they were all into it....I was definitely just along for the ride, but I think the kids enjoyed it.

Alicia holding a baby alligator....

...and Daniel...

...and Addi too.





Meet "Captain Crunch." Determined a danger to humans and their pets, Captain Crunch became a permanent tenant at Alligator Ally kept in a space all to himself. Considering he has a bite force of 2,982 pounds, I can understand why.

Alicia holding an Albino Burmese Python. We used to own one of these before Addi was born. She was about 10 feet long and a little bigger than this one. We sure do miss her......

5 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Gorgeous pictures! Your kiddies are so cute. I will always remember Daniel and his weird snake pets. and that Python that was 10 feet long? ew!!

Cardalls said...

Love the pictures. It reminds me of when we went to Outer Banks, NC when I was pregnant with Luke. It was fabulous being right on the beach (although I'm sure the Gulf water was much warmer than the Atlantic Ocean). I'm glad you guys had such a fun vacation.

KYLE and NATALIE KOESTER said...

What a fun family trip, oh how I wish I could be at the beach. Looks like so much fun. The kids are growing up so much they are all so cute, love the pictures.

Karen said...

Looks like so much fun! I love the beach house you stayed at. we need a vacation like that, maybe when the boys get a little older!

Em & M said...

Looks you all had fun but I must say I want to go meet Mr. Crunch and all of those alligators...