
Last weekend I went solo to St. Louis for a kid-free weekend! My youngest brother, Wes, was going through the temple for the first time. He leaves to serve a 2 year mission in Chile on August 1st. Daniel offered to stay home with the kids since he wasn't feeling up to 10 hours in the car with 3 kids in just 2 1/2 days. So I took him up on his offer and RAN before he could realize what he'd gotten himself into. Just to be able to drive and listen to my own music, not have to constantly hand off binkies, snacks, drinks, put in movies, etc; was absolutely fabulous! I've never enjoyed a 5 hour drive so much in my life! I stayed with my sister Cari, and my parents, Wes, Marcie (our family friend) and Martin (my older brother), with his wife and little boy all came out from Kansas City. It was so fun just to relax and enjoy everyone's company without having to take care of the kids!
Daniel faired pretty well playing Mr. Mom. There were no real issues except for Adelaide trying to pull the fire alarm during church. I think the kids really enjoyed getting to spend so much time with him.
On the way back, I had some company. I had Wes drive back with me to spend a few days here in Nashville with me and my kids. He left today around noon. Adelaide cried for 10 minutes after we dropped him off at the airport...she's had some newly developed separation anxiety issues lately. We were able to do lots of fun things. We went swimming, rented movies, played board games, played a game of Wif (a type of baseball game that Daniel and his brother Jared made up for 2-5 players), canned salsa, and went to a BBQ with Daniel's residency class. Monday is chore day at my house, so while the kids cleaned and I worked in the garden and in the yard, Wes mowed the lawn. Mowing the lawn on a riding lawn mower is hardly a chore, but Wes was a very good sport and a great supporter of chore day. He also helped encourage my kids to eat their vegetables. He probably won't want to eat another vegetable for the rest of his life considering all that I had him eat, but he played along well. My kids think he is great and will miss him a lot while he is gone, but luckily Uncle Mitch gets home from his mission in San Fernando, California in a few months, so the kids will have another single uncle to adore.
Well, we just have one more week at home before the kids and I go gallavanting around the midwest again. This time for over 2 weeks....longer stays at each stop and a little less driving!

(Over the weekend Wes and our niece, Lily, playing the dress-up princess game that she got for her 3rd birthday. Isn't he pretty???)

2 comments:
That's a great picture of us. You should get it framed and display it all over your house. By the way, I'm not eating vegetables for a while.
What a great uncle to play dress-up with his niece and to eat platefuls of veggies! We'll sure miss Wes for the next 2 years.
Post a Comment