I swore I was going to be better at keeping up with my blog. Maybe I'll make it my New Year's resolution....think it will stick?? Anyway...whatever...I'm tired of making apologies and excuses.... Time to just get myself back in the saddle!!!
Our dear friends, Jason and Rachel, asked us to go to Navarre Beach with them again...this time over fall break (we went with them to Navarre Beach over Spring Break as well). My first reaction was, "no way...no how...I have a newborn." I was pretty good at sticking with my decision...at first.... The thought of packing everyone, including a baby, plus everything I would need to cook (we would only be there for 4 days, so I didn't want to spend a day shopping at walmart), was daunting and stressful. I wasn't sure what I'd do with my little 6 week old baby at the beach...lots of sun and sand...not really ideal for a tiny baby. My sweet friends worked me over, however. They also convinced our friends Cassy and Seth to come along with their 3 kids. Being as there were SO many people going, we decided to get our own condo right next door to Jason, Rachel, Cassy, and Seth. Then we had a very brilliant idea...well, Daniel did actually. We invited our friend Kathy (her husband, Brian was out of town) and her 3 girls to come along with us. Let me tell you why this was brilliant....so may reasons...I'll give you the main ones.
1. Kathy loves to cook...she'd rather be inside cooking than sitting on the beach. I was off the hook!!! Minimal cooking for ME!!
2. Her twins, Rachel and Brooke (age: 14), are fabulous babysitters and love taking care of Brant.
3. Her younger daughter, Taylor ("my Tay-Tay"...as Avery calls her) is fabulous at keeping Avery entertained.
4. Her girls are older...so Tristan and Alicia would have people there closer to their age...which means I had 3 extra people to help keep track and entertain my 3 little kids.
Kathy only had a small stipulation...she doesn't drive long distances, so Daniel had to agree to drive her car. DONE...DEAL.... Although I later realized that meant I had to drive....turned out to be a sacrifice well worth making! I had the best time!! Daniel's whole goal was to sit, relax, and read books. So he ended up hanging with Brant at the house a lot...but then everyone took little turns here and there. Tristan took care of him for half a day one day...I had him half a day...Kathy took a turn...her girls took a turn...as a result my little baby never had to leave the condo...I never had to worry about him getting too much sun or someone flinging sand in his face.
My girls (all 3 of them) were completely happy and entertained on the beach everyday by Rachel, Brooke, and Taylor. We had all kinds of weather...but it was mostly good. One day was beautiful and sunny and the water was super calm, so everyone enjoyed swimming freely in the ocean. Another day the water was really rough and it was super windy, so the kids took the opportunity to go boogie boarding. Even Adelaide was pretty good at it! Avery stayed back on shore with me jumping the waves as they ran across our toes. Of course there was the epic hole digging and the attempts at sand castle building. There were movies to watch every night. The adults enjoyed a few games of Nerts together...probably the hi-lite of the trip for me. It was just fun...and I was so glad I decided to make the trip! Enjoy the pics! There's A LOT of them!!!
Daniel and Avery...this girl was in and out of her swimsuit about 20 times per day. And she'd just get herself dressed and undressed...in her swimsuit and into her clothes. She'd be on the beach...play...then go in the water...play...get cold...go inside...get washed off...change into clothes...and then start the whole process over again. A little yo-yo. Almost drove us batty...but she's just too dang cute!
The kids each dug their own hole, then buried themselves in it. Perfect thing for kids to do to keep entertained while at the beach!! Poor Jonny had broken his arm and had to be wear layers of plastic taped over his cast and had to be careful not to get his cast wet. Not easy for a very active 6-year old boy.
L-R: Jonny, Elliot, Taylor, Adelaide, Jacob & Seth
Avery and Brooke playing "boats" on the beach. It was so cute watching Avery boss Brooke around. Brooke was so sweet to oblige!
Avery!!!! What's all over your feet???
It was Cassy's first time vacationing at the beach. She was like a little kid on Christmas morning. She got so excited about everything and just played and played with the kids. She was terrified a shark was going to get her, so Alicia and Rachel were sweet enough to constantly tease her about seeing a shark...about gave her a serious panic attack a few times. She even allowed them to bury her in the sand! I was amazed at this...I won't even sit in the sand...I'll only wade past my knees in the water...Cassy was completely opposite and I love her for it!
And here she is boogie boarding...that's her with her fist in the air. She allowed her head to go under...I don't do that...I hate the taste of the salt water and the way my skin and hair feels after the water dries leaving a coating of salt. YUCK. She didn't care....she even just kept going back for more. I'm sure you wonder why I love vacationing at the beach if I hate the sand and water....can't explain it. Just do. I love sitting soaking up the sun with my toes in the sand listening to the breaking waves.
So this scenario started out as a water fight between little Taylor (we call her "little, but she's almost 12) and I. I threw some water on her, so she tried throwing water on me...when she realized she wasn't going to win, she suggested we throw our little buckets on Brooke...I, of course, thought that was a brilliant idea, so on the count of 3 we threw our buckets of water on an unsuspecting Brooke. Apparently, Daniel found that to be unjust, so as you can see, he got himself a 5 gallon bucket to teach me a lesson....here are the pictures in progression....you'll see who has the last laugh...
I'm screaming at him that he better not....
...he does anyway...
...he got my hair wet...he must pay...
...who's laughing now???
Tristan dug a hole...it's tradition.
Alicia, Taylor, Adelaide and Brooke trying out their boogie boarding skills. I was MUCH better about sunscreen this time around, but Adelaide's fair skin just can't handle that much sun...this was the last day, and her skin was turning pink...I made her put on Jacob's swim shirt...she wasn't impressed, but that was the deal if she wanted to stay out with the girls. They all did great boogie boarding...but as it got later...the waves got bigger and Adelaide was getting beat up...she reluctantly came back in after I about had a heart attack watching her get thrown off her board a few times.
Beach play...the first day, I think.
Avery loved boogie boarding too!! But she only went when the water was calm....
When the water got rough, we found a lot of dead fish. We named this guy, "Fred." Gross, Brooke!
We thought Fred deserved a proper burial. So we dug a hole.
And mourned over his decorated grave.
Why? I don't know...I think the sun got to us.
Jumping off a sand dune.
L-R: Rachel, Elliot, Avery, Adelaide, Brooke & Taylor
Silly Avery.
Best baby in the world. He seriously did so well on this trip. He was so content. This was also about the time he started only waking up once to eat in the night.
And of course there was beach soccer...when I act a fool and Tristan humors me.
My boys. Love, Love. Doesn't get any sweeter.
My friends. I had the best time. I love these girls!! Cassy was a complete nut. Kathy would disappear after she made lunch and before making dinner by taking long walks on the beach...she'd get tired, lay down to take a nap...one time on an abandoned beach chair...and then walk home. And Rachel...the girl convinces me to go to the beach...tells me she can't imagine going without me...and then stays up ALL night reading books, sleeps most of the day, and I only see her for a few hours at night. I lectured her and in the midst of me yelling (in the most kind, caring, friendly way...my friends understand me) at her....she hugs me....she was better the 2nd half of the trip.
L-R: Cassy, me, Kathy & Rachel
Cassy and I are freaks...Kathy thinks we're hilarious, and Rachel is oblivious. That pretty much sums it up!!!

























2 comments:
Looks like it was a great trip for everyone. And your short hair is so cute!
Ummm...Super jealous of your bathing suit ready 6-week postpartum body. I guess doing kick boxing all pregnancy helps, especially when you push out a 9 pound baby!
Post a Comment